Machine Learning Scientist - Marketplace Optimization
Are you interested in working at the intersection of applied machine learning, engineering development, and advanced data analysis? Do you have interest in developing and applying quantitative solutions related to Uber’s problems? If so, then this is the job for you.
Machine Learning Scientists on the Marketplace Optimization team embed with Uber’s various marketplace related product and engineering initiatives to to develop real-time decision systems. These systems include: Uber’s dynamic pricing engines; optimizing the assignment process of matching/dispatching drivers to riders; matching multiple riders to a driver for our UberPool product; inventory and scheduling optimization for Uber’s logistics delivery platform (e.g. UberEATS, UberRUSH), and many more. The systems require a variety of forecasts, including demand and supply quantities and city-specific traffic, travel, and demand patterns; these predictions are done on both spatial and temporal dimensions. The Machine Learning Scientists help develop these forecasting engines.
Since Marketplace Machine Learning Scientists focus strongly on the mathematics and engineering related to predicting the patterns and dynamics of Uber’s marketplace, particular preference is given to candidates with backgrounds in Machine Learning, Statistics, Computer Science, or similar.
We are looking for people with advanced quantitative degrees (PhD preferred) who are comfortable enough with research methodologies that they can tackle abstract business and engineering problems with extreme precision, and who have the enthusiasm and initiative necessary to deliver those answers at Uber’s breakneck pace. You should also have demonstrable programming skills and be comfortable with engineering development process.
Here are the kinds of skills we are looking for:
- Prior research, data science, or engineering experience in building and implementing machine learning models/algorithms, particularly around classification, multivariate regression, pattern recognition, ranking, recommender systems, etc.
- Strong quantitative background: Masters & PhDs preferred
- Excellent programming skills – ability to prototype complex algorithms and collaborate with engineering team to implement the algorithms into production system
- Driven and focused self-starters, great communicators, amazing follow-through – you aggressively tackle your work and love the responsibility of being individually empowered.
- A preference for quality over quantity – you get the math right and aspire to build the right solution; you like a team that holds each other to a high bar.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top