Machine Learning Engineer, Self-Driving, Pittsburgh
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
As a machine learning engineer you will be designing and building machine learning features for self-driving cars and improving its perception, prediction, tracking, and motion planning capabilities. This is your chance to develop cutting-edge technology that will help change the future of transportation around the world!
What You'll Do
- Applied machine learning e.g., supervised methods like logistic regression, SVMs, random forests, deep learning & reinforcement learning and also semi-supervised & active learning approaches that leverage a human in the loop
- Working with BIG data, processing millions of samples and billions of features for modeling
- Building and owning production models, pipelines, and runtimes
- Crowdsourcing and machine teaching technologies like Crowdflower and MTurk
What You'll Need
- A BS in computer science or related field
- A strong quantitative background
- Excellent software development skills in one or more of C, C++, Java, or Python
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Minimum 2 years of experience in software design and development for shipping machine learning features in products
Bonus Points If
- Experience with Hadoop, Pig, or other MapReduce paradigms
- Experience in designing and building infrastructure and web services at large scale
- Track record of building and shipping machine learning features in products
- Prior work in automotive applications
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
We are passionate about designing machine learning algorithms and applying them to solve real-world problems. In addition to machine learning, we love building end to end applications that span the whole engineering stack: the frontend that drives the user experience, the application mid-tier, and the machine learning backends that crunch large amounts of data. We are driven by our desire to use machine learning to help make self-driving cars a reality.
Back to top