Localization Engineering Manager, Self-Driving
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role and Team
Uber ATG is seeking an experienced Engineering Manager to help grow and guide our Localization team. The group is comprised of diverse engineers, researchers, roboticists, and computer scientists working to develop accurate localization and associated mapping technologies for self-driving vehicles. Reliability and scalability are key drivers for us as our software must perform flawlessly across a large fleet of vehicles in large and diverse operating areas worldwide.
The localization team pursues algorithms that incorporate inertial sensors, lidar, and vision-based approaches. State of the art filtering and optimization along with other perception-based localization approaches are utilized onboard our vehicles to provide high-accuracy vehicle pose estimates.
If you have software engineering management experience and prior experience in vehicle positioning, map-relative localization, or state estimation fields, please consider joining our team. We have an ambitious objective and would love to explore your skills.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do as an Engineering Manager
- Work with an outstanding engineering team to solve some of the most difficult real-world technical challenges
- Help grow the team and the careers of individual contributors
- Contribute to the long-term vision of the team and organization
- Establish and manage processes for efficient team execution
- See your work deployed fast and often into the real world and stretch yourself as you switch from one tough problem to another
What You'll Need
- Prior technical skills and experience working in one or more of the following areas, in the context of localization or mapping:
- Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM)
- State estimation
- Inertial navigation
- 3D data registration
- Nonlinear optimization
- People management experience nurturing careers, managing under- and over-performers, influencing cross-functional teams, recruiting and building teams
- Ability to work beyond your core engineering field and understand how the pieces fit together in the larger system
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment
- Passion and a sense of ownership over everything you ship
- A team player mentality with the belief that more can be achieved as a team and ability to understand how decisions affect others in the organization
Back to top