We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
We're looking for talented engineers to help develop the next generation system for localization and mapping for Uber's self-driving vehicles. We are a team of diverse researchers, engineers, and computer scientists who are motivated by the challenges of developing reliable, accurate, and scalable solutions across a wide range of operational scenarios. We value experience in SLAM, 3D reconstruction, and visual odometry, and are seeking new team members who have applied geometric computer vision techniques to real-world problems.
What You'll Do
- Design, implement, test, and maintain real-time localization and mapping software that runs on self-driving Uber vehicles
- Design, implement, test, and maintain localization and mapping software that runs offboard for optimization, analysis, testing, and verification
- Analyze large datasets and work with raw sensor data
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other engineering teams at Uber and communicate your work to colleagues and management
What You'll Need
- Highly skilled in lidar point cloud registration, or geometric computer vision, or state estimation
- Extensive, demonstrable results in real-world applications
- Good experience developing software in C++
- Shown ability to produce computationally intensive software that runs and produces high-quality results in real-time
- Solid understanding of 3D spatial mathematics concepts
- Prior experience in any of pose estimation, probabilistic filtering, SLAM, nonlinear optimization, autonomy, networking, or user interfaces desired
Bonus Points If
- Experience with techniques or applications for nonlinear optimization (e.g., nonlinear least squares, bundle adjustment, pose graph optimization)
- Python development experience
- Experience in state estimation using Kalman filters
- Minimum 3 years of industry experience
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
We are a group of diverse researchers, engineers, and computer scientists working to develop accurate localization and mapping systems for self-driving vehicles. Reliability and scalability are key drivers for us as our software must perform across a large fleet of vehicles in large and diverse operating areas.
Back to top