Legal Counsel EMEA - Privacy
Uber is a Series E venture-funded startup headquartered in San Francisco, California. We're a game-changing company, altering the transportation space by allowing users to request quality, on-demand rides with a touch of their smartphone. We are in over 300+ cities worldwide, including over 40+ cities in EMEA, with plans to rapidly expand our growth in the region. This position is based in Amsterdam and requires travel.
We're changing the transportation world and with that comes the need for more legal expertise. We are currently searching for a Legal Counsel, Privacy with knowledge in E.U. and global privacy, e-commerce, marketing and consumer protection laws to join the Uber Legal Team as we scale nationally and globally. You will report to the Legal Director Privacy - EMEA and be based at Uber's EMEA HQ in Amsterdam.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Advise local teams in the EMEA region on privacy, consumer protection, marketing and e-commerce issues
- Follow up on data requests by data subjects, law enforcement agencies and third parties
- Be the legal liaison for our Law Enforcement Response Team
- Provide privacy and marketing law trainings across the EU
- Respond to spam and advertising complaints and interact with regulators, as needed
- Advise on data protection and privacy aspects of contracts, business development agreements, and acquisitions
- Advise on data protection and privacy issues during development of new products and initiatives
- Do research on new legislation and advise on impact for the business
WHO YOU ARE
- 4+ years law firm experience at mid to large size law firm and/or in-house experience
- Strong academic credentials and law degree
- Substantive knowledge and demonstrated expertise in EU data protection and privacy laws
- Substantive knowledge of EU consumer protection regulations
- Substantive knowledge of EU marketing regulations
- Experience counseling technology companies on data protection, privacy, and consumer protection matters
- Experience counseling technology or related companies on data protection-related issues in contracts,
- Excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm for taking on new responsibilities, even if outside areas of expertise
- Able to learn new areas of the law quickly
- Able to work in extremely fast-paced environment under direction of manager, collaboratively, and autonomously
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Written and spoken fluency in English required; spoken fluency or basic knowledge of Dutch or other languages a plus
- Willing to take on new challenges
- Enthusiastic about Uber!
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Ground floor opportunity: shape the strategic direction of the company
- Make a difference: we're not just another social web app: we're moving real people/assets and changing transportation for the future
- We have access to an amazing list of advisors and investors that we actively engage
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top