Lead Communication| Kolkata
Uber started out to solve a simple problem: the need to get a ride across town. Six years and one billion trips later, we’ve stumbled upon something a bit bigger: a new way to help tackle congestion—one of the most serious challenges cities face today.
Using technology, Uber makes it quick and easy for people headed in the same direction at the same time to share their journey. It’s carpooling at the press of a button. And by getting more people into fewer cars we’ve proven you can reduce congestion and pollution overtime. uberPOOL in Los Angeles, for example, cut the number of kilometers driven across town by 12.7 million and carbon dioxide pollution by 1,400 metric tons in just eight months in Los Angeles.
Longer term, we’re optimistic that smartphone apps like Uber can also offer a real alternative to individual car ownership. After all, if you can press a button and get an affordable ride across town in minutes, 24-hours a day, why bother to own a car? There is an alternative to a world that looks like a parking lot and moves like a traffic jam. We’re looking for smart, can do people who want to make that future possible.
About Communications at Uber
The Communications team is responsible for telling Uber’s story to the media and third parties: whether it’s transforming how we get around town and the lives of people who value independent, flexible work; or reduce congestion in cities by getting more people into fewer cars. It also about being creative in how we tell our story, including the use of social media, as well as working with the cross functional teams to develop campaigns that make the positive case for reform and regulations and overall business and operation
About this Role
We are looking for someone to lead our regional communications efforts in Kolkata. To be based in Kolkata, this role will involve:
- Establishing Uber’s brand and profile with the media and third parties across East India (Kolkata, Bhubaneshwar and Guwahati)
- Establish a strong network of relationships with media across East India (Kolkata, Bhubaneshwar and Guwahati)
- Working cross functionally, with city leadership and the India communication team, to tell our story—and the story of ridesharing—in creative, inspiring ways that resonate with media and influencers on social media.
What We’re Looking For
To succeed you’ll need to be:
- A self starter: Uber is a company of entrepreneurs and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up too. Stuff changes fast in our world so you’ll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure;
- A great advocate: We’re looking for people who can distill complex ideas into simple, but intellectually credible, arguments. You’ll need to write well and have the creative ability to tell stories—about our product, people and the ways we’re helping to improve life for passengers, drivers and cities.
- A strong campaigner: Smartphone apps are disruptive, and the interests being disrupted are deeply entrenched. We succeed by putting together effective campaigns with third parties on behalf of the passengers and drivers who use the app. That means you’ll have a bias for action in everything you do—and a willingness to engage in debates, that can often become heated.
- A team player: Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. It’s why we’re looking for well organized people who enjoy working with others to get stuff done—and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally.
Ideally, you would have 6+ years of experience in communications. Experience in brand and product communications, crisis advocacy and communications, is an advantage, as is experience as a business, policy, legal, city, trade or economics reporter. Excellent knowledge and relationships with city, legal, mobility and start-up focused media and influencers at a local and pan East India level is a must. We are open to people with experience in another walk of life, who intuitively get this stuff and may be looking for a career change. Fluency in Bangla and English, oral and written, is essential. Ability to understand Assamese and Oriya will be an added advantage.
- Employees receive free and discounted Uber rides.
- The opportunity to be part of a movement that is revolutionizing urban transportation around the world, and making cities safer and more accessible in the process.
- Work with incredibly talented and passionate colleagues.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top