iOS Software Engineer - Payments (Amsterdam)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Did you know that Uber supports about 20 different payment methods? From credit card to PayPal, Alipay, Apple Pay and cash, our payments teams goal is to let people pay with their preferred payment method, worldwide and at Uber-scale.
What you'll do
Uber's payments team is based in Amsterdam, at the heart of our international engineering efforts. As a member of our team, you will help dig into the complex but rewarding world of money, and work to enhance the platform with third-party payment integrations. Here are some examples of technical challenges you may be solving:
- Full-stack approach. Each integration is unique and often requires a back-end, mobile and web component. You will be part of a cross-functional team which is developing the overall experience and architecture.
- Global scale. Despite being based in Amsterdam, we work on integration for the overall Uber platform. Those integrations include Alipay (300M users in China) and Paypal (173M users). Our systems support the entirety of Uber's rider payments platform worldwide.
- Scale and reliability. Our solutions facilitate Uber's always-on marketplace. Maintaining this platform at scale requires constant investment in security, reliability and monitoring tooling.
- Innovation. We create platforms: payments is a central initiative for Uber, and we are constantly innovating in this field.
What you'll need
- Excellent coding abilities. You have advanced knowledge of at least one programming language, and of OOP patterns. You've used programming tools (e.g. version control) and already have experience with a couple of full stack projects. You have excellent command line skills.
- Passion for learning. We're looking for software engineers who perk up learning new technologies or a new partner API. You keep yourself up-to-date with the latest technological trends. You're constantly on the lookout for opportunities to try out new things.
- Speed and quality. You thrive on proving that these are not mutually exclusive - that you can achieve both at the same time. You are dedicated to solving the difficult issues.
- Ownership mentality. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you're sure it's correct, fast and elegant. You pride yourself on thorough monitoring, concise up-to-date documentation, and adequate test coverage. You thrive in a fast and growing environment, and consider no challenge too big or too small.
- Team-orientation. You believe that you can achieve more when you work in a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement. You want to work with different finance, mobile, product, design and fraud teams to create the best solution for Uber.
- Design and business insight. Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to detail results in a delightful user experience.
- iOS experience: you have in-depth knowledge of the Cocoa Touch frameworks and fluency in Objective-C or Swift. You are proficient with writing unit/functional tests, and familiar with automation frameworks (e.g. Kiwi, Calabash, Frank, OCMock, FBSnapshotTestCase).
- Experience with other other mobile platforms and Android in particular
- Full-stack development experience, including backend APIs design and applications development.
- Experience working in systems handling high volume financial transactions is a plus.
- An open source profile (such as Github) with some completed projects is highly desirable.
- Breakfast and lunch onsite.
- Work in the very centre of Amsterdam!
Do you want to know what it is like to work at Uber?
- Visit our Engineering website " target="_blank">here
- View this video to hear from our engineers what it's like to work at " target="_blank">Uber
- Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top