iOS Engineer - Maps
Uber is transforming the way cities work – giving more people more options to get around and enabling local businesses to reach more customers. Maps are critical to this, and the Map Services team is looking for top-notch engineers who are as passionate about maps as they are about directly impacting transportation of billions of people and things around the world. You’ll build an SDK that leverages both 3rd party and in-house maps services to unleash new functionality in Uber’s apps.
Why join us?
- Visibility. Maps are central to Uber’s success. You’ll be working on a very visible project – both inside and outside of Uber. Your code will help power 80% of the pixels in Uber’s apps.
- Teammates. Work with sharp, motivated teammates in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Solve fun problems. We love challenging problems, and take pride in crafting elegant, reliable code while moving fast.
- Impact the physical world. We’re not just another social app. We’re moving real people and things, and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
Here are the kinds of things we’re looking for:
- iOS. Deep knowledge of the iOS SDK and platform paradigms, as well as Objective-C and/or Swift.
- APIs. Experience designing and launching scalable, lightweight mobile APIs.
- Fast learner. You thrive on learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment.
- Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the whole web stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your code.
- Strong architecture chops. You know how to build highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant code that support our unique rate-of-growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you’d never call code “released” until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others’ candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word, as well as how your code will be used by other developers. Your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
- We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top