iOS Engineer - Autonomous Vehicle UX
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
In this role you will contribute to the design, development and maintenance of the user interfaces in Uber self-driving vehicles based on iOS. This work is critical to Uber achieving scale with a self-driving fleet. These interfaces play a critical role in many development activities as well as in the completion of rides for normal Uber riders.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Work as part of a team developing user interfaces for Uber's self-driving vehicles
- Evaluate and debug your code out in the physical world
- Interact with others to coordinate backend and other non-iOS work
- Participate in architecture and design discussions for future development
What You'll Need
- Experience developing, prototyping, testing, releasing, and maintaining native iOS applications (show us what you've done before and where we can find it)
- Extensive knowledge of Objective-C or Swift, with strong design and interaction experience
- Experience collaborating on software projects with design and back-end aspects
- A product-oriented mindset; the ability to think beyond the task at hand and see the bigger picture the way an end user sees it
- Great debugging skills and knowledge of the best tools
- Insightful opinions about developing for mobile
- Human Interface or Human UX experience is preferred
- Experience developing distributed systems
- Experience developing testing suites for mobile applications
- Experience with C++ or Python
- Experience with Android development in Java or Kotlin
- A GitHub account with some cool projects in it
About the Team
The Human Experience team is a multi-disciplinary team of devoted designers, mobile and robotics engineers working to deliver the highest quality user experience to vehicle operators and riders in Uber's self-driving vehicles. Our work touches everything from industrial design, to hardware/electrical engineering, systems engineering, security, and application engineering.
Back to top