Investigator, Special Investigations Unit
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
As a Special Investigations Unit (SIU) Investigator, you will work efficiently and effectively through our most critical incidents to drive top results in customer service, accuracy and timely case resolution. Investigators will work closely with our top internal customers - Communications, Trust & Safety, Insurance and Legal - to coordinate and facilitate case resolution according to support logic for high severity incidents while balancing external customer service, communications, expectations and demands.
What You'll Do
- Managing a high volume caseload of urgent and critical incident types
- Providing thorough, detailed investigations using various support platforms (email, chat, phone) to develop case details, analyze evidence, and present recommendations for internal actions to key stakeholders
- Maintaining excellent interpersonal skills and professionalism while delivering best in class customer service
- Employing critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills to navigate high severity incident types
- Learn and master multiple knowledge base and contact management systems
- Contacting, interviewing and obtaining statements from insurers, witnesses and law enforcement to secure necessary information.
What You'll Need
- Minimum 1 year of urgent customer service support or relevant prior experience investigating urgent and high-priority issues including accidents and insurance loss as well as person-on-person allegations
- Experience interviewing both parties to an incident either in-person or over the phone
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish trust and effective working relationships with others on an external and internal basis
- Commitment to excellence in behavior, performance and work product
- Organized and self-driven with an excellent ability to handle a large case load
- Ability to adjust and adapt in a dynamic work environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including ability to listen effectively; to confidently and diplomatically express opinions and voice concerns with other team members; and to present effective written communication to varied audiences
- Solid computer and time management skills
- Willingness to work weekends, holidays and outside a standard 8 to 5 shift
Bonus points if
- Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, Business, or Communications strongly preferred
- Experience in Law Enforcement, Claims Liability, HR Investigations, and/or criminal investigations
- Prior experience with Crisis Management or Sensitivity Training
- Certifications from Wicklander-Zulawski, Reed and Associates, or similar Investigative consulting firm
About the Team
Community Operations is pioneering how Uber manages rider and driver support around the globe during our most critical incidents and accidents. Our Special Investigations Unit (SIU) Investigators are there for our customers when they need us most. Accidents and incidents can be traumatic and challenging experiences. It takes a true professional to understand the complexity of the situation, work empathetically with the customers, and drive our investigations to timely and appropriate resolution.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top