Internal Communications Lead - EMEA
Uber started out to solve a simple problem: the need to get a ride across town. Six years and one billion trips later, we've stumbled upon something a bit bigger: a new way to help tackle congestion—one of the most serious challenges cities face today.
Using technology, Uber makes it quick and easy for people headed in the same direction at the same time to share their journey. It's carpooling at the press of a button. And by getting more people into fewer cars we've proven you can reduce congestion and pollution overtime. uberPOOL in Los Angeles, for example, cut the number of kilometers driven across town by 12.7 million and carbon dioxide pollution by 1,400 metric tons in just eight months.
Longer term, we're optimistic that smartphone apps like Uber can also offer a real alternative to individual car ownership. After all, if you can press a button and get an affordable ride across town in minutes 24-hours a day, why bother to own a car? There is an alternative to a world that looks like a parking lot and moves like a traffic jam. Join Uber to help make that future possible.
About Communications at Uber
The most successful consumer technology companies are brilliant storytellers, who put their products—as well as the benefits of those products—front and center in every communication.
Working closely with external communications, our internal communications team is responsible for telling Uber's story to all the smart and talented people who are working hard to make our vision a reality: whether that's sharing company priorities, explaining our product roadmap, or connecting people across the world through our shared cultural values.
Success is about building effective relationships with Uber's leaders and their teams so you can help them communicate effectively. It's also knowing how to find and share stories of the amazing work that's going on across the company; from our customer obsessed City teams, to feats of technical excellence. Our people are busy, so we have to be creative to catch their attention, and efficient in delivering them the right information at the right time.
About this Role
Uber currently operates in 132 cities and 45 countries across Europe, Middle East and Africa connecting millions of riders with hundreds of thousands of drivers. We are looking for someone to lead our internal communications efforts in EMEA, based in Amsterdam. You will support the EMEA leadership team across the region. This role reports to the Director of Internal Communications at Uber based in San Francisco, working closely with the Head of External Communications for EMEA.
- Establishing a credible internal communications functions for the EMEA management team.
- Working to tell our story —and the story of ridesharing— to internal teams in a creative, engaging way that resonates with them and keeps them connected to the vision, culture, and each other.
- Helping create a vibrant culture, that attracts and retains the best talent for Uber in partnership with the Uber People & Places team.
What We're Looking For
To succeed you'll need to be:
- A self starter: Uber is a company of entrepreneurs and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up too. Stuff changes fast in our world so you'll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure
- A great advocate: We're looking for people who can distill complex ideas into simple, honest and compelling communications. You'll need to write well and have the creative ability to tell stories—about our product, culture, people and the ways we're helping to improve life for passengers, drivers and cities.
- A strong influencer: We succeed by building effective relationships, and using those relationships to enable the best possible outcome for the Uber brand, and employees. Open and honest communication is paramount. You'll have a bias for action in everything you do—and a willingness to engage in debates, that can often become heated.
- A team player: Success at Uber depends on the ability to organize different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. It's why we're looking for well organized people who enjoy working with others to get stuff done—and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally.
Ideally, you would have 7+ years of experience in any field of communications. We are open to people with experience in another walk of life, who intuitively get this stuff and may be looking for a career change. Excellent communication in English, both oral and written, is essential, additional European languages would be considered an advantage.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top