Indirect Tax Manager
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Uber is looking to add an Indirect Tax Manager – State and Local to our rapidly growing tax team! This role will support our domestic tax function. This is an amazing opportunity to join a high-growth, fast-paced environment and make an immediate impact. The job calls for a combination of people skills, excellent attention to detail, and superb organizational skills.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Primary indirect tax manager responsible for various indirect tax compliance related matters including;
- Preparation and/or review of monthly, quarterly and annual tax returns including sales tax, gross receipts, and indirect taxes in multiple jurisdictions
- Assistance with property tax compliance including preparation and/or review of property tax returns, payments and appeals
- Reconciliation and/or review of tax accounts on a monthly or quarterly basis
- Assistance with state and local business registrations (as needed)
- Management of state and local indirect tax audits
- Work with Finance/Legal/IT Teams to build reporting and compliance process
- Team with Finance, Legal and Operations to evaluate indirect tax impacts of new business ideas
- Research and communicate analysis of risks and opportunities via technical memorandums
- Assist in documenting processes and special projects as assigned
- Train and develop team members
- Special projects as assigned
What You'll Need
- BA/BS Degree in Accounting, Finance, or similar.
- 7+ years tax experience in a multi-state environment with solid sales and property tax concepts and laws required
- Strong analytical / problem solving skills with demonstrated understanding of complex tax concepts
- Strong research skills, coupled with great written and verbal communication skills are a must, including the ability to communicate with non-tax people on indirect tax issues
- Proficient in tax research tools (i.e. CCH, RIA) and Microsoft products (Word, Excel, Google Docs)
Bonus Points if
- Oracle or similar ERP system experience a plus
- Public Accounting and/or high growth company experience a plus
- CPA, MST and/or JD preferred
About the Team
We build scalable and controlled processes for Global Tax, Global Accounting and International Compliance.
Back to top