India Growth Product Ops
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
About the role:
The Product Operations Specialist supporting the India Growth program team (the 'Program') will be based out of Bangalore and will work closely with the Product, Eng, Data Science, Research and Design teams, as well as Ops, Legal, S&P, Comms, FP&A teams and Leadership teams throughout the world.
The Product Operations Specialist role is fundamentally about making sure that the Product and Ops orgs are working together to build, rollout, and support our products. Nearly every Program team will have a Product Operations Specialist who sits with the program team and serves as the Operational lead on the Program.
What you'll do:
The fundamental aim of Product Ops is to ensure the success of the Program and the broader Uber business in all cities throughout the world. This role is about ensuring that the Program team creates products that have long standing business impact. To do so, Product Ops should work closely with key stakeholders to surface, prioritize, conceive, develop, test, rollout and iterate on products, while also working to direct, and facilitate Operations efforts as they relate to the product. To this end, close understanding of the product, very clear communication, effective prioritization, and the ability to surface and scale insights through tight communication with the broader organization are crucial. The successful candidate will have an instinct for the challenges facing the Program, and be able to lead those around them from problem to solution.
Below are some key responsibilities of the Product Ops Specialist:
Creating a community around the program team to move the business forward
- Develops a network of, and works with Product Champions, Ops Strike Teams, Regional Leads and other key stakeholders to ensure that meaningful projects are being tackled, and teams have the direction and support needed to follow through and deliver value to the business.
- Keeps the company informed about the Program's product updates and developments that are most relevant to them through email, calls, Teamdot or other updates.
- Ensures launch announcements for the Program team are conveyed, and works with relevant stakeholders to make sure that this information is directed to those who need it.
Informing the creation of impactful products
- Works with relevant Ops leaders to surface the top needs of a region, and makes sure they are evaluated, prioritized and, where appropriate, placed on Program roadmaps.
- Works closely with Product and Engineering in Product conception and development to ensure that there is Problem/Product fit, and Product/Market fit.
- Digs into problems and makes sure they are understood by Program and Ops teams alike, and adequately evaluated. To scale, leverages Ops, Pro and S&P for help with the analysis. Helps the information get structured and flow appropriately. (i.e. what does a clear problem statement look like? What type of data is a program team going to want to see in order to prioritize this?)
- Keeps pulse on the status of the biggest problems a Program is facing, both through communication with regional stakeholders and phab triage, and then charts a clear path towards resolution.
- Where necessary, this Product Ops goes in market to work directly with Ops to solve some of the toughest problems facing the Program's products.
Rolling out Products and Features
- Product Ops supporting the Program should develop a clear rollout plan for each major product going to market, and work with Ops and Product teams to ensure there is alignment on plan, priorities, metrics. In each case there should be a plan to get a Product to all relevant markets.
- To scale Uber's efforts appropriately, testing and rollouts will always require the involvement of Ops in the region - Product Ops will work with teams on the ground to ensure that this occurs.
- Product Ops will either spearhead, or facilitate, analytics from Ops, Data Science or elsewhere to determine the business impact and further rollout of a Product or Feature.
Ongoing direction and support of the Program's Products
- Work with Operations teams and Ops Leadership to define the Program's related success metrics and OKRs, and ensure that teams are meeting these OKRs.
- Working directly with Ops teams post launch or feature rollout to ensure ongoing success, and working closely with city teams on operational strategy where required.
- Work with Ops on an ongoing basis to help clarify Product knowledge and understanding, fielding and directing questions appropriately.
- Create or direct the creation of resources to help Ops find self-serve content that will answer their questions or help them find the best contact for future questions.
What you'll need:
- Communication (to Ops, users, Product) -- Can you write a blog post for the press, an email to a driver, an email to the company, and a succinct summary of dozens of pieces of feedback?
- Broad understanding of Ops and deep user empathy -- Do you have a full understanding of how Ops solve problems globally and can you put yourself in someone else's shoes and think like them?
- Analytical prowess -- Uber has data-driven decisioning making baked into its core, can you find and present relevant data to inform and support your opinion
- Technical aptitude -- Do you understand the product development process and technical stack enough to effectively contribute and do you have a desire to learn more?
- Judgment -- When you make a judgement call, are you right most of the time?
- Self-starter -- Will you always find your own ways to push the Program forward without needing to be told what to do?
- Employees are given free & discounted Uber rides every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top