Human Experience Engineering Manager, Self-Driving
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
We're looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to help grow our Human Experience team devoted to understanding and perfecting the human experience of operating autonomous vehicles
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do:
- Develop the cars interactions with the vehicle operators
- Learn from world-renowned practitioners of robotics, mapping, perception, logistics, machine learning, motion planning, mobile communications, and other fields
- See your work deployed fast and often into the real world and stretch yourself as you switch from one tough problem to another
- Work with an outstanding engineering team and the support of an established data infrastructure
- Benefit from working at a dynamic startup inside an established, well-capitalized company
What You'll Need:
- Experience as a technical leader and people manager in a product-focused development effort
- Experience with the full software cycle through requirements gathering, design, coding, testing, rolling out to customers, incorporating feedback and iteration
- Strong leadership qualities, experience setting a roadmap, and a track record of delivering on that roadmap
- Ability to grow and mentor individual engineers on the team, finding ways to align their personal goals with team and organization goals
- Ability to successfully navigate a complex and ever changing organization in a hyper-growth environment
- Enthusiasm for team growth through sourcing, interviewing and hiring the best engineers
- Strong programming skills in a modern, mainstream language (C++, Python, Java, C#, etc.) and knowledge of modern software engineering best practices
- An appreciation for elegant, effective UI, and an understanding of how it impacts end users' experiences
- Dedication to owning end-to-end quality, and driving it through the engineering process
- Accountability, and the ability to both give and receive feedback and leverage it for the benefit of all
About the Team:
- The Human Experience (HEX) Team is responsible for developing the interactions with humans such as vehicle operators, in-car customers, and out-of-car customers.
Back to top