Head of Product - Tech Services
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
In this exciting new role, you will be a part of the Technology Services (TS) senior leadership team. As an active member involved in crafting and operationalizing the overall TS strategic plan, you will be responsible for the strategy and leadership of two major functions: internal tools strategy, product management of various employee internal tools being built, the vendor management and procurement of information technology services, software and hardware for the organization.
If you're passionate about building new programs and processes that will drive our employees' and Uber's overall success, we'd love to have you on the team!
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
Your initial key focus in this role is to: 1) drive agility and consistency in the way the team plans, resource, and delivers work, 2) create visibility and transparency on what the team is working on and why, 3) put in place right-sized processes and standards to scale team's capabilities. For strategic initiatives, you will be the primary owner in preparing and delivering key partner meeting materials as well as TS QBRs. You will lead a talented team of product managers and product operations and will collaborate very closely with the TS Engineering lead to create an overall Tech Services strategy at Uber. You will be accountable for the strategic oversight and management of sourcing, procurement, and renewals of information technology services, products, and solutions. You will also lead the management of software assets. In close collaboration with the functional leads, Indirect Procurement, Legal, and Finance teams, you will own developing and implementing the strategy for scaling and maturing our capabilities. You will define the internal tool product strategy including build vs buy evaluation (including people and productivity related products). You will:
- Establish a customer-centric organization with a clear set of service offerings
- Build world class internal products that elevate employee experience at Uber
- Strategic oversight and management of sourcing, procurement, and renewals of information technology services, products, and solutions
- Assess the sourcing and procurement practices and tools and implement solutions that will scale
- Perform a review of vendor spend, terms, and upcoming renewals and identify short and longer-term opportunities.
- Build strong relationships across Uber to understand and anticipate the needs and requirements of TS services and ensure the service portfolio evolves in line with company goals and objectives.
- Partner with Finance to ensure consistent visibility into budgets, and how they are tracked.
- Partner with Indirect Procurement and Legal to define strategies to skillfully negotiate new contracts, updates, amendments, and renewals as business needs evolve.
- Develop, coach, and grow the talented team and be an advocate for them.
What You'll Need
- 10+ years of experience in technology with 7+ years of leadership responsibility for Enterprise Products and/or Internal Products Strategy
- Experience in establishing a strategy, framework and best practices.
- Experience in leading corporate-wide sourcing initiatives or vendor management programs
- Excellent analytical, conceptual thinking, strategic planning and execution skills.
- A "driver" personality - biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on, you persevere when others fade.
- Data-driven: you always get the data you need, and you can distill it into an insightful story. Most importantly, you leverage data to drive strategic decisions.
- User-focused - you are passionate about always making the user experience positive and unwilling to allow product challenges to impact users negatively.
- Unquestioned integrity with assertiveness, presence, and confidence. Excellent influencing skills at all levels in the organization, acute flexibility in a dynamic, ever changing environment.
- Competence in making timely, effective, principles-based decisions.
- You make Uber a great place to work, and as an executive actively shape an inclusive and positive culture.
- Is hands-on, driven, strategic, accountable, collaborative, hard-working, and productive.
About the Team
If you have the right stuff to join the Uber Product team, you'll work among star engineers, designers and product managers in a rapidly growing, hybrid technology/operations environment. We are highly rider-centric and we deeply believe we can innovate our way out of any box. The role demands great technical depth, principled thinking, well honed product judgment, a stubborn refusal to settle, bold innovation, a high design bar and a mentality of starting with the rider and working backwards.
Back to top