Group Product Manager - Marketplace Control
What is Marketplace?
The Marketplace group builds the platform, products, and algorithms responsible for the real time execution and online optimization of Uber’s marketplace. We are building the brain of Uber, solving NP-hard algorithms and economic optimization problems at scale, in real time, making all of the decisions for Uber’s marketplaces based on up-to-the-second data as well as forecasts of the future. And we’re not just talking about designing algorithms – we also build robust production systems to power these algorithms from the ground up.
Our group’s systems control the dynamics of all of Uber’s markets, from our core personal transport business with UberX and UberPool, to Uber’s emerging markets such as UberEATS and UberRUSH. We focus on areas like dynamic pricing (surge pricing, upfront pricing), intelligent dispatching (matching algorithms, dispatch paradigms), and supply positioning (optimal positioning of drivers in anticipation of demand patterns). The goal of these systems is to dramatically lower cost & ETAs for riders, increase revenue for driver partners, improve the overall efficiency and utilization of Uber’s fleet of supply, and enable products in entirely new marketplaces.
Our group is continuously deploying a variety of system configuration and algorithmic changes that affect how we respond to and attempt to balance supply and demand in different markets – any given week could involve deploying a new real time dynamic pricing algorithm, testing a set of new dispatching features, and launching a supply positioning recommendation system to drivers. In addition to all of the changes that the teams in the Marketplace Dynamics group are constantly making in order to optimize Uber’s marketplace, there are scores of other changes external to our control happening in each city’s markets: rider growth, driver growth, trip growth, cyclical daily/weekly demand patterns, special events, weather, and even Uber promotions like Kittens and Ice Cream.
Introducing Marketplace Control
Marketplace Control sits at the heart of Uber’s business, and combines our operational strategy with our technical engines. You will lead a group of several projects responsible for the intelligence and insights that inform all decisions we make on how to operate our marketplace. You will lead data scientists and engineers as they transform business questions (e.g. “are the right number of driver partners online in San Francisco today?”) to quantified metrics. You will work closely with UX to make this data actionable by our human strategists – from our CEO all the way to individual City Managers. You will partner with engineering to make these insights power and gauge the effectiveness of new marketplace technologies. Your team will also work directly with Uber’s city teams, as they dive deep into your metrics and take immediate corrective measures to improve their city’s marketplace health. You will define our marketplaces information needs, and will lead the strategy of this group, as it analyzes not just the success metrics for Uber’s platform today, but the potential for technology-driven transportation in the future.
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- A passion to apply technology and data to change how humanity moves
- 7-10 years of product management experience
- Experience transforming complex data into actionable business insights
- Experience leading user experience for data heavy interfaces and tools
- Proven track record of creating strategy and roadmaps and aligning the team and company behind them
- Experience working with finance/strategy/operations stateholders (internal and external) and informing financial decisions
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams consisting of engineers, data sciences, designers and junior product managers
- Expert communication skills, with both internal and external stakeholders
- Academic background in computer science, statistics, or economics a plus
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
Benefits (United States)
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top