Group Product Manager - Data Platform
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
We are looking for an experienced product leader to drive our efforts to develop and scale Uber's next-generation data infrastructure.
Your teams will create and own systems that enable end-to-end data pipelines that take data from event emission and ingestion all the way through to BI applications and other Uber services built on top of our data.
Your teams will own Uber's Hadoop infrastructure as well as our ETL pipeline, our data modeling efforts, and all of the logging and streaming systems that feed into Hadoop and our data warehouse.
Your teams will consist of excellent Product Managers who work in close collaboration with TPMs, engineers, data scientists, and designers; you will interface with nearly every aspect of the Uber organization. If successful, you will change the course of data at Uber and create a world-class architecture that fuels and supports our unprecedented growth.
Having excellent communication and collaboration skills, an entrepreneurial bent, excellent technical and analytical understanding, product management expertise, good judgment, and deep background in building scalable systems will allow you to thrive in this role.
What you'll do
- Internalize and deeply understand Uber's mission and strategy, as well as the mission and goals of multiple teams under your direction
- Own multiple teams and multiple projects working toward a scalable data infrastructure that supports your internal customers' needs. Attain internal product-market fit and widespread product adoption among data consumers at Uber
- Recruit, develop, guide and lead a team of highly technical Product Managers. Ensure excellent team dynamics, team and individual team member performance, growth and enthusiasm
- Be in the details. Know your team's work in depth
- Work closely with other teams at Uber to ensure efficient and productive working relationships
- Lead by example. Be incredibly truth-seeking and finger-tippy with data, set a high bar for the team to think boldly and creatively and then to funnel that energy into concrete products and execution plans, move fast and be biased toward action
What you'll need
- A computer science undergraduate degree or equivalent plus hands-on software engineering experience. Technical understanding must go from the highest abstractions down to the hardware
- At least 8 years experience leading product teams that delivered solutions related to data infrastructure at scale
- Deep familiarity with exciting and new data technologies, including Hadoop, Hive, Spark, data warehousing solutions, and in-memory databases
- A high bar across the board - from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on.
- A personality that encourages action, great collaboration and excellent simplification for communication.
- You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and address something hands-on.
- Customer-centricity - you have many examples from your past of tough product issues that you persevered through to ensure customer satisfaction
- True passion for Uber's mission and the company's hybrid technology / operations nature
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top