Functional Safety Technical Expert, Automated Vehicles - Detroit
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 500 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
The System Safety team within Uber ATG is charged with ensuring that, at every stage of development, our self-driving vehicles are demonstrably free from unreasonable risk when operating on public roads. We also hold primary responsibility for establishing durable specifications that will guide the integration of self-driving technology onto the Uber network at global scale.
Our safety experts apply analytical skills and expertise throughout the product development lifecycle, and we work with software engineers, hardware engineers, test teams, and external partners to efficiently deliver the appropriate level of assurance for on-road, highly automated systems.
Our systems engineers bring knowledge of standard methodologies from a variety of industries, and apply tools and agile processes to right-size efforts around generating and maintaining system-level documentation and interface specifications.
What you'll do
- As the Functional Safety Technical Expert, Automated Vehicles you will have exceptional automotive functional safety expertise and an ability to deeply understand and extrapolate from traditional/standard approaches to address the complex world of self-driving vehicles.
- Responsibilities will include authoring functional safety work products for system elements, refining vehicle-level safety case artifacts, and aiding in applying tried-and-true analysis methods to evolving system architectures and highly complex software.
- You will work in a small, self-optimizing team passionate about delivering results, not building an empire.
What you'll need
- Be knowledgeable about fail-operational system architectures and safety-critical system design and validation processes
- Be well-versed in automotive functional safety standards such as ISO 26262 and SOTIF
- Have an attested ability to move fast and the confidence to innovate where clear industry or regulatory mentorship does not currently exist
- Be comfortable in non-traditional environments -- highly helpful to have worked with startups, in an Agile development process, or in a dynamic skunkworks division
- Have proven experience working on sophisticated, safety-critical software systems
- Have a track record of participating in, influencing, and/or driving well-tailored safety processes -- not just executing according to standard procedures
Nice to have's
- Building novel safety cases for complex cyber-physical systems
- Making/defending smart judgements on residual system risk
- Adapting traditional standard safety processes to rare new technology applications, e.g.,
- Self-driving vehicles, highly automated driving
- Being exposed to another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical) and the applicable standards/principles therein, such as IEC 61508, DO-178, STPA, ALARA
- Fast Learner. You flourish with learning new technologies, pivot easily but thoughtfully to new ideas, and don't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions.
- Versatile teammate. You are willing to adapt to whatever role is most needed in a given moment, and you rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Business savvy. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, ten paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top