Frontend Engineer - Map Tools
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it’s heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We’re making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we’re doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber’s positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber, Advanced Technologies, Engineering is the Palo Alto, CA division of the Uber Engineering Team: a high-performance culture marked by boldness and achievement. We focus on the development of key technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
Our work is primarily in the areas of mapping and sensing. Our team is comprised of world-class developers and engineers with decades of experience and we’re looking for exceptional engineers who can work faster and smarter without sacrificing technical excellence.
As an Uber ATE team member, you’ll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be hugely impactful. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched. Do you dream about positively impacting the world using your passion for engineering? Then you should apply to join our team. We are enthusiastic, engaged and excited about changing and improving the transportation industry across the world.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
As part of Uber’s larger mapping effort, we are developing tools that use the output of our data pipelines that permit users to extract valuable bits of information from imagery and GPS data in order to optimize and augment maps. This will have a direct impact on both riders and drivers by helping them connect faster and more efficiently. You will be rubbing shoulders with world class scientists and engineers looking to completely transform transportation. You will get a chance to use your skills to resolve some of the toughest problems in the geospatial domain using superb compute infrastructure and tools.
We are looking for experienced software engineers who have a thorough grasp of user interface fundamentals as front-end developers for our suite of internal Web tools.
What you’ll need
- Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
- Action. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You thrive on the belief that quality doesn’t have to be compromised to achieve speed-you can have both at the same time.
- Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship are committed to ensuring its correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, thorough documentation, and proper test coverage.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team – that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others’ candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and business acumen. You have a very thorough understanding of requirements and your technical contributions will impact the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, developing a new datacenter abstraction layer, or sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- At least 3 years programming experience in Java, C++, or a related language.
- A firm grasp of data structure and algorithm fundamentals and how to apply them in real-world applications.
- Previous experience developing bespoke applications for data entry, data visualization and manipulation.
- Experience in mapping is a plus.
- Experience or interest in full-stack development is not required, but is a plus.
- MS in computer science preferred but not required.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top