Frontend Engineer - Airspace Systems
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
The frontend engineer will focus on developing tools to understand and improve the operation of Uber's airspace systems for UberAIR (passenger-carrying) aircraft and potentially Drone Delivery operations. These tools will be used to visualize and interact with hundreds of thousands of (one-day, autonomous) aircraft data and for simulation of the various scenarios. The responsibilities of the role includes developing tools to visualize information for geospatial, simulation, 3D rendering, operations data and other verticals.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
- What you'll need
- Deep understanding of UI framework and choices and experience in building UI applications from ground up.
- Expert in web technologies and APIs (HTTP2, CSS/HTML, Browser JS APIs, WebSockets etc.)
- Experience working as a FE engineer in Uber ecosystem or using Uber's frontend tools and frameworks.
- Comfortable working across the stack and understanding how all the pieces fit together (front-end, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your application.
- Strong design skills and a passion for optimizing for intuitive and responsive layouts and maximizing for utility and efficiency.
- At least 2+ years of frontend/full stack development
Bias toward action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgment about shipping as fast as possible while ensuring your products and platforms are built in a sustainable, responsible way--and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Bonus points
- Experience in Uber visualization frameworks like deck.gl, luma.gl etc. or have closely worked with visualization at Uber.
- Experience with geospatial datasets and services such as maps, GPS traces etc.
- Experience developing simulation and/or scenario generation/testing.
- Experience with Android/iOS development.
About our team
Airspace Systems team is one of the core engineering teams on Uber Elevate — our initiative to fast forward to ridesharing in the sky, i.e. urban aviation. The vision of the airspace systems team is to enable safe, reliable, large-scale and efficient airspace operations for Uber Elevate.
In order to accomplish this vision, the team works in coordination with other relevant teams and stakeholders within Elevate (particularly Vehicles, Operations, Design and Data Science), and Uber's core dispatch, marketplace, and security teams as our systems become operational and integrated.
Back to top