Front End Engineer - Observability
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
The Observability applications team works on a few full stack applications for monitoring, alerting and generally making sense of the thousands of services that run at Uber.
What you'll do
As part of our team you'll focus primarily on the front-end of these applications along with a few other front-end engineers. Some of the work you'd be involved in includes:
- Building an open-source platform for dashboarding system-critical data from a variety of sources.
- Prototyping new features to make the lives our engineers at Uber easier.
- Putting the new features that work into production and ditching the ones that don't.
You'll generally help build out some of our existing tools, as well as craft new ones. We aspire to make most of our work open source, and prefer like minded team members who understand the balance of building software for use inside of Uber that also has a path for external use via open source.
What you'll need
Generally, you'll do well on our team and enjoy the kind of projects we work on if you:
- Enjoy digging into how we can help make Uber's systems more understandable for engineers.
- Understand the full web technology stack, e.g. HTML, CSS, HTTP, cookies, headers, asset loading / caching
- Have experience working with visualization frameworks such as D3
- Have experience building awesome visualization tools
- Have some knowledge of full stack infrastructure from front-end to backend
- Have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
About the team
The Observability Applications team is part of the Observability group within Uber Infrastructure. We are charged with measuring and monitoring every mission-critical service at Uber. Our team works with the rest of the Observability group to build the applications that our engineers across Uber use to ensure that their services are running properly.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top