Engineering Manager - Web Platform, Self-Driving
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
The Uber Advanced Technology Group is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead ongoing development of tools and frameworks used for building web-centric software applications supporting the autonomous driving technology space. Our systems generate vast amounts of broad-spectrum data which needs to be rapidly ingested, transformed and visualized by a wide community of users. From software engineers to data scientists to operational folks in the trenches, our web applications and data visualization tools touch the lives of virtually every corner of the business.
Are you passionate about making open source web technology stacks both easy to use and highly performant within graphics-heavy applications? Are you adept at rapidly understanding user needs and converting these to action plans? Are you working at the forefront of web-centric information delivery technologies, and interested in continuing to do so in a well-funded entrepreneurial environment? Are you comfortable diving deep into technology selection one day, synthesizing new capabilities from user feedback the next day, and resource planning/staffing the next day? If so this opportunity is for you.
As an Engineering Manager at ATG you will be expected to make an impact through both organizing the work of others and your ability to lead within one or more technical areas. Working at the intersection of technology and people, you will balance long-term technology direction, health of the team, and individual careers of team members to ensure success in all these dimensions.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Access Uber's planet-scale data store while gaining subject matter expertise in the specific web application needs of self-driving technologists;
- Learn from world-renowned practitioners in robotics, mapping, perception, logistics, machine learning, motion planning, mobile communications, and other fields;
- See your work and that of your team deployed fast and often into the enterprise, to receive rapid use and feedback for future iteration;
- Work with a group of core domain experts to plot the future course of web application development within the enterprise;
- Recruit and attract new talent into your group, to enhance and accelerate existing and future programs;
- Benefit from working at a dynamic startup inside an established, well-capitalized company.
What You'll Need
- People management experience: You have the management playbook to nurture careers, manage under- and over-achievers, influence cross-functional teams, and recruit and build teams;
- Skills with common web application development technologies: Deep knowledge of available toolsets and frameworks, benefits and limitations thereof, and an ability to select and blend existing technologies suitable to the specific ATG problem space;
- Fast learner: We're looking for an Engineering Manager who thrives on learning new technologies and doesn't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions -- you should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment;
- Action: You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point, and you thrive on the belief that quality doesn't have to be compromised to achieve speed - you can have both at the same time;
- Versatility: In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance;
- Passion: You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never think of code as "released" by your team until you're sure it's correct; you pride yourself on ensuring your teams do efficient monitoring, excellent documentation, and proper test coverage;
- Team player mentality: You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts;
- Design and business acumen: Whether you're working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool consumed by our operation teams, or a feature used by millions of customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
About the Team
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Phoenix, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
Engineering Managers are responsible for leading teams that build software on and off the Autonomous Vehicle. We have opportunities in both Pittsburgh and San Francisco.
Back to top