Engineering Manager - Uber Maps
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
Job Description Are you excited by the idea of mining rich sensor data to unearth valuable information that will help optimize logistics and transportation across the world? Are you excited by the prospect of helping move people and things more efficiently around the world? If you have answered yes to any of these questions, you might be a great fit for this team at Uber! As part of Uber's larger mapping effort, we are building data pipelines that extract valuable bits of information from imagery and GPS data in order to optimize and augment maps. This will have a direct impact on both riders and drivers by helping them connect faster and more efficiently. We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager who can help identify the key open challenges, create a viable road-map and lead a team of world class machine learning scientists and data engineers to execute on solutions. We also expect the person to be data oriented - i.e. be able to set up experiments that will generate the data to drive decisions. You will get a chance to use your skills to solve some of the toughest problems Uber faces in the geo-spatial domain using state-of-the-art compute infrastructure and tools. And all this while rubbing shoulders with some of the best scientists and engineers looking to revolutionize transportation at Uber.Perks
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Experience as a technical leader and manager for at least 5+ years.
- Experience going through the full software cycle of requirements, design, coding/testing best practices and continuous integration in delivering world class software and services.
- Strong leader and people manager with experience in setting a strong vision/roadmap for your team with a track record of delivering results while growing/mentoring engineers on your team.
- Strong programming skills in either Java, C++, Python, or C#
- Experience with developing big-data processing pipelines over Hadoop or similar technologies.
- Experience with machine learning/statistical inferencing technologies such as random forests, deep nets., bayesian nets, etc.
- Experience in mapping, computer vision, or computational geometry is a plus.
- Ph.D. in a quantitative field preferred but not required.
Back to top