Engineering Manager - Uber Freight
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
As the Engineer Manager for the Carrier Experience team within Uber Freight, your team of mobile and backend engineers will have direct impact on the logistics industry: building apps that allow truck drivers to find and move freight efficiently, get paid more quickly, and get home more often.
You will be leading the vision for our mobile strategy, and setting the pace for taking projects from concept to release. Working alongside the product, design and operations teams, you'll determine the best ways to increase user growth and engagement. Finally, you'll join other technical leaders within engineering to ensure that this platform scales as we rapidly grow our business and our team. A strong background in software engineering is necessary in this role, but a desire to understand the business, as well as a keen sense of self-awareness and innate EQ are equally valued.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Uphold Uber Engineering's technical and user-experience excellence on mobile platforms.
- Manage and mentor a team of software engineers, looking out for their career progression and skills development.
- Work with business stakeholders to determine product roadmap and schedule.
- Holding motivational team meetings, effective 1:1's, sprint/task planning, and performing code reviews as required.
- Help define the culture and uphold the processes that will shape the future of our growing team.
What You'll Need
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a technical leader and manager.
- Experience going through the full software cycle of requirements, design, coding/testing, rollout/deploy best practices in delivering world class software and services.
- Strong people management skills including growing and mentoring your team members.
- Experience evolving and presenting a strong vision/roadmap for your team.
- Passion about your team's mission and the self-starting personality to make things happen.
- A track record of delivering results even when requirements are under-specified.
- Hands-on experience with mobile platform development: Swift, Objective-C, Java.
- Solid programming skills in Java, Go, Python, or similar.
- Strong systems design experience, having built server-backed mobile applications.
Bonus Points If
- Previous experience with freight or logistics brokerage industry a huge plus
- Deep understanding of the trade-offs of alternate mobile development platforms (PhoneGap, React Native, Ionic)
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical field
About the Team
Trucks move everything you buy, why shouldn't booking a truck be as seamless as booking an Uber?
Uber Freight connects shippers with carriers / truck drivers, much like the way the Uber connects riders and drivers. The Uber Freight team believes that empowering truck drivers will bring more open, efficient, and increasingly safer transportation to our roads. We are a team of sharp, entrepreneurial individuals who are redefining the movement of goods around the world. We are currently looking for candidates to join our growing team who share our enthusiasm for tackling today's toughest challenges in transportation.
Back to top