Engineering Manager, Site Reliability Engineering
Uber has become an integral part of people’s lives and it is critical that the systems that power the platform are always available to everybody in the world. Uber continues to expand into new cities and its growth and popularity present interesting challenges for managing the change in scale with the pace of innovation. We are looking for leaders who will guide us through this phenomenal growth helping their teams to deliver on principles of robust distributed systems to solve operational challenges, while enhancing developer productivity and maintaining operational simplicity.
You will be helping to build, mentor and grow your team, while being a force multiplier in their efforts to achieve reliability goals for the organization. Your team will have a healthy mix of both software and system engineering skills, while maintaining a strong focus on: attaining cent percent uptime, ability to scale with ease, minimizing latencies and maximizing efficiencies.
- Provide leadership for a team of engineers who own the reliability goals of uptime, scalability and performance.
- Recruit, hire and close candidates to build your team with the right talent & diversity.
- Develop a team mission, roadmap, clear objectives and milestones to motivate and ensure accountability for delivery on the business’ needs.
- Support personal and career development of your team through active coaching, mentoring and aligning opportunities with skillsets.
- Build trust & alignment across teams to collaborate effectively across teams and partners to achieve Uber’s goals.
- Drive excellence for reliability through maintenance of aggressive SLAs, efficient process, relentless automation, engineering reliability back into applications and maximizing performance.
- Dive deep into availability, performance and scalability issues/outages for services and provide technical leadership for immediate and proactive resolutions.
- Architect, review, develop and deliver applications to improve availability, scalability, performance and efficiency of Uber services.
- Manage on-call rotations and provide inputs to your team and partners to sustain SLAs.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
- Experience with managing multiple teams or a team of at least 5-8 engineers
- Experience with Unix/Linux environments with a strong grasp on system internals
- Worked on large-scale distributed systems including multi-tiered architecture
- Demonstrable knowledge of TCP/IP, HTTP, application security, monitoring and storage
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need the brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top