Engineering Manager, Site Reliability Engineering
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber has become an integral part of people's lives and it is critical that the systems that power the platform are always available to everybody in the world. Uber continues to expand into new cities and its growth and popularity present interesting challenges for managing the change in scale with the pace of innovation. We are looking for leaders who will guide us through this phenomenal growth helping their teams to deliver on principles of robust distributed systems to resolve operational challenges, while enhancing developer productivity and maintaining operational simplicity.
You will be helping to build, mentor and grow your team, while increasing the efficiency of their efforts to achieve reliability goals for the organization. Your team will have a healthy mix of both software and system engineering skills, while maintaining a steadfast focus on: attaining cent percent uptime, ability to scale with ease, minimizing latencies and maximizing efficiencies.
What you'll do
- Provide leadership for a team of engineers who own the reliability goals of uptime, scalability and performance.
- Recruit, hire and close candidates to build your team with the right skills and diversity.
- Develop a team mission, roadmap, clear objectives and milestones to motivate and ensure accountability for delivery on the business' needs.
- Support personal and career development of your team through active coaching, mentoring and aligning opportunities with skillsets.
- Foster trust & alignment across teams to collaborate effectively across teams and partners to achieve Uber's goals.
- Drive excellence for reliability through maintenance of SLAs, efficient process, relentless automation, engineering reliability back into applications and maximizing performance.
- Dive deep into availability, performance and scalability issues/outages for services and provide technical leadership for immediate and proactive resolutions.
- Architect, review, develop and deliver applications to improve availability, scalability, performance and efficiency of Uber services.
- Manage on-call rotations and provide inputs to your team and partners to sustain SLAs.
What you'll need
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
- Experience with managing multiple teams or a team of at least 5-8 engineers
- Experience with Unix/Linux environments with a deep grasp on system internals
- Worked on large-scale distributed systems including multi-tiered architecture
- Demonstrable knowledge of TCP/IP, HTTP, application security, monitoring and storage
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top