Engineering Manager - Sensing and Perception
Are you excited by the idea of mining rich sensor data to unearth valuable information that will help optimize logistics and transportation across the world? Are you excited by the prospect of helping move people and things more efficiently and reliably? If you have answered yes to any of these questions, you might be a great fit for this team at Uber!
We are building data pipelines that ingest huge volumes of sensor data (GPS, accelerometer, gyroscope, Bluetooth beacons, wifi, etc) and apply advanced techniques (machine learning, particle filters, etc) to extract semantics and provide insight into the world. Our work is felt across the company— we power Uber’s Driving Safety product line, deter multiple fraud modalities, and measure and reduce marketplace inefficiencies— all with the ultimate goal of making Uber magical for our riders and drivers.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager who can lead a team of both domain specialists and infrastructure engineers towards identifying opportunities at different timescales and executing on them. We expect the person to be data oriented – i.e. be able to set up experiments that will generate the data to drive decisions. You will use your skills to solve some of the toughest problems in the world— building best-in-class infrastructure to deploy cutting edge algorithms with massive impact.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Skills we’re looking for:
- Experience as a technical leader and manager, managing teams of 5+ engineers for a minimum of 3+ years.
- Experience going through the full software cycle of requirements, design, coding/testing best practices and continuous integration in delivering world class software and services.
- Strong leader and people manager with experience in setting a strong vision/roadmap for your team with a track record of delivering results while growing/mentoring engineers on your team.
- Strong programming skills in either Java, C++, Python, or C#
- Experience with sensors, GPS and mobile a plus.
- Experience with developing big-data processing pipelines over Hadoop or similar (Samza, Kafka, Mallet) technologies.
- Experience with machine learning/statistical inferencing technologies such as random forests, deep nets, bayesian nets, et a plus.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top