Engineering Manager - Rider
Uber Engineering is a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyperproductivity. We’re looking for team players with natural product intuition who can work harder, faster, and smarter while taking technical excellence to a whole new level. You should be pumped about building a global transportation marketplace that spans a wide range of cities — varying from 100,000 to 10 million people in size — with unique regulatory, technical, and business requirements.
As the senior leader for the Expansion product engineering team in Seattle you’ll be instrumental in building out a fast-moving organization through hiring and mentoring along with partnering with the product team to guide our strategic direction. The Expansion product teams grow Uber’s core business by reaching riders via new channels, extending Uber’s offering to appeal to new audiences and strengthening engagement through new experiences. Teams within this charter include high impact teams such that focus on Airports and more nascent businesses such as Families.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Engineering excellence. You have at least 5 years of industry management experience in a variety of contexts, during which you’ve built insanely scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems or large mobile / web apps. You have a solid knowledge of the whole architecture and stack.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren’t mutually exclusive. You’ve shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way — and you’re comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Passion and energy. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Commitment. Cities never sleep, and neither does Uber. You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to riders. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team’s scope.
- Hiring prowess. You’re a strong interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Design and business vision. You help your team understand requirements beyond the written word. Even in the absence of a PM or a designer, you show great attention to the design and product aspect of anything your team ships.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top