Engineering Manager - Rider
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
As the senior leader for the Expansion product engineering team in Seattle you'll be instrumental in building out a fast-moving organization through hiring and mentoring along with partnering with the product team to guide our strategic direction. The Expansion product teams grow Uber's core business by reaching riders via new channels, extending Uber's offering to appeal to new audiences and strengthening engagement through new experiences. Teams within this charter include high impact teams such that focus on Airports and more nascent businesses such as Families.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Engineering excellence. You have at least 5 years of industry management experience in a variety of contexts, during which you've built insanely scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems or large mobile / web apps. You have a solid knowledge of the whole architecture and stack.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way — and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Passion and energy. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Commitment. Cities never sleep, and neither does Uber. You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to riders. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team's scope.
- Hiring prowess. You're a strong interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Design and business vision. You help your team understand requirements beyond the written word. Even in the absence of a PM or a designer, you show great attention to the design and product aspect of anything your team ships.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top