Engineering Manager, Rider- Bangalore
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it is heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is now fabric of daily life of millions of riders and driver partners around the world.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world. Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber's scale and growth have moved past the benefits of a strong one-size-fits-all product-market fit and this is where the Uber Rider team is focused. Our charter is to bring the next set of million riders onto the Uber platform. To enable riders to access the magic of Uber anywhere, anyway, anyhow. A significant set of step functions in new rider growth must come from enabling deep access to Uber; transcending rider challenges across capabilities of devices, networks, and riders in emerging regions of focus. We're looking for a excellent technical leader who can help identify the key open challenges, create a viable road-map and lead a team of world class software engineers to execute on this charter.
What you'll need
- Minimum 5+ years of experience as a manager and overall 10+ years of industry experience in a variety of contexts, during which you've built scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems.
- You have a solid knowledge of the whole web stack: front-end, back-end, databases, cache layer, HTTP protocol, TCP/IP, Linux, CPU architecture, etc.
- You are comfortable jamming on complex architecture and design principles with senior engineers.
- Bias for action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way.
- Mentorship/ Guidance. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Commitment. You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to riders. You hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team's scope.
- Hiring know-how. You're a thoughtful interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Design and business vision. You help your team understand requirements beyond the written word and you thrive in an environment where you can uncover subtle details.. Even in the absence of a PM or a designer, you show great attention to the design and product aspect of anything your team ships.
- Employees are given Free and Discounted Uber credits every month.
- Free daily catered breakfast and lunch, free snacks.
- Gym and mobile phone reimbursement
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top