Engineering Manager - Product Engineering (multiple openings)
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
As a leader of the product engineering management team, you'll be instrumental in hiring and mentoring the engineers who work on new product features and experiences for our riders and drivers.
We believe that people are one of the most important assets to Uber and because of that we foster an environment that is welcoming to diverse perspectives.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What you'll need
- At least 3 years experience managing and at least 5 years experience as an individual technical contributor within mobile, web, data platform or distributed backend systems.
- Excellent educational background in a quantitative field, such as Computer Science, Statistics, or Machine Learning.
- Prior management and team-building experience. You'll be managing several direct reports initially and will have the opportunity to scale and build out a high-performing team.
- Management at Uber is management as a service. As such, managers are judged based on their ability to identify opportunities and lead/grow engineers through efficient execution. You must be persuasive, patient, compassionate and possess exquisite prioritization skills.
- Biased toward action. You must be able be able to do more with less and turn would be blockers into opportunities for growth.
- Excellent execution, organization and ability to collaborate. To be successful in this role, you should be comfortable executing with little oversight and be able to adapt to problems quickly.
- Strategic mindset. You're comfortable thinking a few steps ahead of where the team is at now.
- Principled yet pragmatic. A qualified candidate will have conviction and be authentic in their approach, but situationally aware enough to adapt when needed.
Back to top