Engineering Manager - Platform (multiple openings)
Uber Engineering is a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. The mission and vision of the engineering team is to build the technology platform and marketplace that can move everyone and everything in every city with extreme reliability.
Uber’s platform makes sure that all our users have to do is push a button and get a ride. Our system is powered by complex machinery that allows us to be present in more than 400 cities globally while maintaining an impeccable customer experience. Our services provide both the business logic and UI for payments, city configuration, trip notifications, fare calculation, product configuration, etc. We’re constantly learning about how to better adapt them to our rapidly evolving business environment while scaling out rapidly.
We’re bringing Uber to every city in the world, and we need you to build the platform that will make that happen.
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- 3+ years experience managing and at least 5+ years experience as an individual technical contributor within mobile, web, data platform or distributed backend systems.
- Strong educational background in a quantitative field, such as Computer Science, Statistics, or Machine Learning.
- Prior management and team-building experience. You’ll be managing several direct reports initially and will have the opportunity to scale and build out a team of experts.
- Management at Uber is management as a service. As such, managers are judged based on their ability to identify opportunities and lead/grow engineers through efficient execution. You must be persuasive, patient, compassionate and possess exquisite prioritization skills.
- Biased toward action. You must be able be able to do more with less and turn would be blockers into opportunities for growth.
- Strong execution, organization and ability to collaborate. To be successful in this role, you should be comfortable executing with little oversight and be able to adapt to problems quickly.
- Strategic mindset. You’re comfortable thinking a few steps ahead of where the team is at now.
- Principled yet pragmatic. A qualified candidate will have conviction and be authentic in their approach but situationally aware enough to adapt when required
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top