Engineering Manager - Infrastructure
Do you dream about changing the world using your passion for engineering and your finely-honed leadership skills? Are you excited to help move people and things more efficiently around the world? Do you think maps and geospatial problems are interesting and are passionate about helping make them better? As an engineering leader at Uber, you’ll have a direct impact on the innovation of cutting edge technologies. The work you will do will be hugely impactful across the business. The experience you will gain will be unique and unmatched.
Uber’s Advanced Technologies Maps Engineering Team is helping build the next generation of mapping and sensing technologies. The work we do is directly impacting Uber’s mission of bringing safe, reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere. Our team is comprised of world-class engineers with decades of software development and geospatial experience. We’re looking for a superstar engineering leader who can create a compelling roadmap towards the future and lead a strong engineering team to deliver on that vision.
The Maps Infrastructure Platform Team is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to help build the future of transportation. We are building a large scale, distributed processing and storage system to support Uber’s Maps operations. Our vision is to make map processing at Uber the industry leader in innovation and efficiency. We leverage existing, proven open source technologies (such as Mesos, Aurora, Spark, HDFS, Cassandra) as the base of this system. We then add on top all of the Uber-specific magic that is needed to deliver a full-featured mapping infrastructure.
Here are some of the skills we’re looking for:
- Engineering excellence. You have at least 5 years of Engineering Management experience in a variety of environments. You’ve built highly scalable, robust, distributed and fault-tolerant systems based on open source technologies and know how to innovate on top of these systems.
- Passion. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Hands on. While you won’t spend a lot of time coding, you could step in and code if needed. You are able to lead design/architecture sessions, understand trade-offs and are not afraid to make the hard choices. You are your own toughest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team’s scope.
- A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You know how to lead your team to deliver, and how to collaborate with other teams across the company to drive a compelling shared vision.
- Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, or building a new datacenter abstraction layer, the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
- Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Hiring prowess. You have grown a diverse engineering team beyond what you inherited. You’re a strong interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
- At least 5 years experience with managing multiple teams or a team of at least 8-10 engineers.
- Hands on knowledge designing large-scale distributed systems including multi-tiered architecture.
- Exposure to open source technologies such as: Mesos, Aurora, Spark, HDFS, Cassandra and Docker.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top