Engineering Manager - Infrastructure
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team within our Core Infrastructure group. As a manager within Infrastructure you will have a significant impact on the evolution of Uber's backend teams and architecture. Our mission is to make transportation as reliable as running water, and we need people who are excited to build the dependable foundation that supports that vision.
Uber Infrastructure is comprised of several key areas:
- Compute: Job scheduling and containerization; Docker, Mesos, Aurora.
- Storage: Globally replicated data stores; MySQL, Cassandra.
- Networking: Software-defined traffic control and RPC frameworks; Golang, Zookeeper, gRPC.
- Data: Analytics, fraud detection, and business metric aggregation; Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Samza.
- Performance: Distributed systems, tracing, profiling, system performance; Golang, Java, C++
If you have a strong preference for a particular area please note that in your application. We also encourage generalists to apply.
This is the opportunity of a lifetime for a highly skilled infrastructure leader.
What you'll need
- You have great interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution. If you enjoy discussing anything from kernels to datacenters and you measure the success of your projects in "nines," then we want you on the team.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or equivalent.
- Management experience running backend infrastructure team(s) at scale.
- Hands-on software development experience. Code shouldn't scare you.
- Great written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lead, inspire, and grow excellent engineering teams.
- Experience planning projects, and the wisdom to know when to shift priorities amid a rapidly changing business environment.
- Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision.
- Open, curious, and bold approach to problem-solving and striving for the best solution.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top