Engineering Manager - Driver (Seattle)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
The Driver Team at Uber is one of the fastest growing, most critical teams focused on growing the number of partners in Uber's two-sided marketplace. Our goal is to help our driver-partners across the world join the Uber platform efficiently and at scale, and create tools and products that help our partners maximize their earnings and ultimately drive long-term growth and loyalty.
Our team builds the engine that powers hundreds of thousands signups every month, works on creative product solutions to drive engagement and delight, leverages social elements to cultivate an entrenched partner network and above all, make driving with Uber an enjoyable and fulfilling experience.
We are a full stack team of smart, highly motivated and self-driven engineers working across mobile, web and backend. We are looking for skilled technologists with a passion for solving complex problems and creating a huge and lasting impact. We're revolutionizing how people think about our marketplace and building the most affordable and reliable platform in the world. Come help us drive the future of transportation!
What you'll need
- Engineering excellence. You have at least 5 years of industry experience in a variety of contexts, during which you've built scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems. You have a deep knowledge of the whole web stack: front-end, back-end, databases, cache layer, HTTP protocol, TCP/IP, Linux, CPU architecture, etc.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way - and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Exceptional teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Passion. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Commitment. You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to riders. You hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team's scope.
- Hiring know-how. You're a thoughtful interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Design and business vision. You help your team understand requirements beyond the written word. Even in the absence of a PM or a designer, you show great attention to the design and product aspect of anything your team ships.
- Knowledge of the principles of accessibility and ability to build products that are accessible to users with disabilities, a plus.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top