Engineering Manager - Driver
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for growing and shaping our Driver Screenings team in Seattle. You will partner with a wide range of stakeholders from product, data science, legal, and regulatory to own and evolve the roadmap and technical strategy so as to build a world class screenings experience for every customer on our platform.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do -
- Manage and lead a team of frontend and backend engineers building microservices, primarily in golang.
- In partnership with Product Management, internalize, own, and provide creative vision for the product roadmap.
- Develop a bold technical strategy that integrates providing consistent and timely value to customers and building scalable and maintainable systems.
- Drive continual improvement in team effectiveness through evolving processes and mentoring engineers.
- In conjunction with your technical leads, teach agile technical skills such as TDD and pair-programming.
- Build a team culture of obsessive collaboration, pragmatic execution, and continual learning.
What You'll Need -
- Engineering excellence. You have at least 5 years of industry experience in a variety of contexts, during which you've built insanely scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems. You have a solid knowledge of the whole web stack: front-end, back-end, databases, cache layer, HTTP protocol, TCP/IP, Linux, CPU architecture, etc.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way — and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code craftsman skills, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Passion and energy. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Commitment. Cities never sleep, and neither does Uber. You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to our partners and operations personnel. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team's scope.
- Hiring prowess. You're a strong interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Design and business vision. You help your team understand requirements beyond the written word. Even in the absence of a PM or a designer, you show great attention to the design and product aspect of anything your team ships.
Bonus Points If -
- Knowledge of the principles of accessibility and ability to build products that are accessible to users with disabilities, a plus.
About the Team -
The Driver Screenings team is an integral part in making Uber the safest transportation option in the world by ensuring that all partners on our platform have undergone the rigorous screenings as required by governments and Uber internal policies. The team is responsible for building technology solutions to evaluate every partner for every trip for every product (UberX, Eats, Black, etc.) at global scale. This is one of the most visible and important teams for Uber in 2018 and is an essential part of helping make safety a competitive advantage for Uber.
Back to top