Engineering Manager - Developer Tools
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
Uber is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team within our Developer Experience group. Developer Experience is a group comprising of several key areas: Developer Environment, Developer Tools, Testing & Chaos Platform, Build Platform, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery. As a manager within Developer Experience, you will have a significant impact on how Uber engineers develop platforms and products. Our mission is to make transportation as reliable as running water, and we are looking for people who are excited to build the dependable developer platform and tools that supports this vision.
You will help identify the opportunities, create the technology roadmap and lead a team of software engineers to deliver world-class experiences for our engineering team. Check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the group.
What we're looking for:
- Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent. Masters preferred.
- Experience as a technical leader and manager, leading teams for 5+ years.
- Strong leader and people manager with experience in creating a strong vision/roadmap for your team with a track record of delivering results
- Strong programming skills in either Golang, Java, Python or C#
- Experience going through the full software cycle from requirements, design, coding, testing, continuous integration and delivery of world class software and services.
- Ability to recruit, lead, inspire, and grow excellent engineering teams.
- Ability to successfully navigate a complex and ever changing organization in a hyper growth environment.
- Experience planning projects, and the wisdom to know when to shift priorities amid a rapidly changing business environment.
- Experience with building platforms and developer tools or similar technologies, and influencing adoption across groups through best practices.
- Open, curious, and bold approach to problem-solving and striving for the best solution.
- Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision.
An ideal candidate will have strong leadership and interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a track record for successful execution. If you enjoy enabling other engineers to be productive, discussing anything from developer tools to kernels and you measure the success of your projects in "nines", we would like to talk to you.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top