Engineering Manager - Data Visualization Tools
Uber Engineering is a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and hyperproductivity. We’re looking for team players with natural product intuition who can work harder, faster, and smarter while taking technical excellence to a whole new level. You should be pumped about building a global transportation marketplace that spans a wide range of cities — varying from 100,000 to 10 million people in size — with unique regulatory, technical, and business requirements.
As a member of the data visualization leadership team you’ll be instrumental in hiring and mentoring engineers staffed into programs around experimentation, data exploration, dashboarding and mapping. Our team is responsible for delivering advanced user-interfaces that empower intelligent decision-making on Uber’s massive datasets. Our data tools are the window into what’s truly happening in each of the hundreds of cities where Uber operates at any given moment. Our main customers are data scientists, product managers, driver operations, and the executive staff which consume these tools thousands of times daily.
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Engineering excellence. You have experience leading teams that have shipped products you are proud to put your name behind.
- Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Hiring prowess. You’re a strong interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Technical expertise. You worked with Web Standards for years and keep yourself updated with the latest Web frameworks and technologies. You understand the tradeoffs of using SVG/D3 vs. 2D Canvas vs. WebGL. You’re familiar with tools and frameworks like D3, Processing, Tableau, OpenFrameworks and/or Cinder. You’re into things like information design, computer graphics, statistical data analysis and data engineering.
- Passion and energy. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Commitment. Cities never sleep, and neither does Uber. You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to customers. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team’s scope.
- Design and business vision. You help your team understand requirements beyond the written word. Even in the absence of a PM or a designer, you show great attention to the design and product aspect of anything your team ships.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top