Engineering Manager - Cadence
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
About the Role
Uber is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team within our Developer Experience group. As a manager within Developer Experience, you will have a significant impact on how Uber engineers develop platforms and products. Our mission is to make transportation as reliable as running water, and we are looking for people who are excited to build the dependable developer platform and tools that supports this vision. An ideal candidate will have strong leadership and interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a track record for successful execution.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
What You'll Do
- Lead a team of software engineers to deliver world-class experiences for our engineering teams.
- Partner with engineering teams, help identify the opportunities, gather requirements and create technology roadmap for the team.
- Recruit, inspire, and grow excellent engineering teams. Mentor and support your team.
- Enable successful adoption of solutions delivered by the team and contribute to open source/industry wide initiatives.
- Manage team's upstream and downstream dependencies across offices.
What You'll Need
- BS/MS/Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Experience as a technical leader and manager, leading teams for 5+ years.
- Strong leader and people manager with experience in creating a strong vision/roadmap for your team with a track record of delivering results
- Strong programming skills in either Golang, Java, Python or C#
- Experience going through the full software cycle from requirements, design, coding, testing, continuous integration, delivery and ongoing management of world class software and services.
- Ability to successfully navigate a complex and ever changing organization in a hyper growth environment.
- Experience planning projects, and the wisdom to know when to shift priorities amid a rapidly changing business environment.
Bonus Points If
- You have experience with building platforms and developer tools or similar technologies, and influencing adoption across groups and industry through best practices.
- You have an open, curious, and bold approach to problem-solving and striving for the best solution.
- You have a proven track record of assessing new technologies and making pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision.
About the Team
Developer Experience is pushing the boundary of what's possible to make engineers forget about infrastructure and focus on creating incredible solutions for our customers. Catalyst is Uber's new serverless platform and we are looking to simplify the development experience for all of our engineering teams. Watch our talk at the Emit conference for an architectural overview of Catalyst.
Back to top