Engineering Manager - Business Intelligence - Data Platform
Many companies are data driven, but being on the bleeding edge of the P2P Ride-Sharing / Logistics / Transportation industry, we partner with Data to solve a whole new world of challenges. Data is the center of our business— it drives the development of our world class service, highlights the effectiveness of incentives and promotions, measures the reach and effectiveness of localized marketing campaigns, and surfaces opportunities to improve how Uber operates. Every Uber employee is hands on with data, so it is impossible to be at Uber and not feel the presence of Data. At its center lives the Data Platform team.
The Data Platform team is structured into three functional units: Machine Learning, Data Management & ETL, and Business Intelligence.
We are looking for an engineering leader for our Business Intelligence tools group to join the Data Platform leadership team. The role’s primary responsibility centers on Uber’s needs for Business Intelligence, Data Mining, and analytical application development. The BI team owns and leads the development, support, and improvement of tools and APIs for Data Scientists, City Operations teams, program teams, and anyone in Uber who needs reports and metrics that support their business operations. The BI team works hand in hand with our world-class visualization team to provide smart and creative ways to explore our data.The BI leader interacts with business teams to gather requirements and producing the vision of a scalable best-in-class self-service platform for BI.
HERE ARE THE KINDS OF SKILLS WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Engineering excellence. You have experience leading teams that have shipped products you are proud to put your name behind. This includes 3+ years experience managing and at least 5+ years experience as an individual technical contributor within mobile, web, data platform or distributed backend systems. A strong educational background in a quantitative field, such as Computer Science, Statistics, or Mathematics is highly recommended.
- Superior teaching skills. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Passion and energy. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Strong execution, organization and ability to collaborate. To be successful in this role, you should be comfortable executing with little oversight and be able to adapt to problems quickly.
- Biased toward action. You must be able be able to do more with less and turn would be blockers into opportunities for growth.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top