Engineering Head - Payments, Asia/India
The Asia payments team at Uber is obsessed with one question – How do we deliver seamless payment experiences, unlock Uber’s growth and build competitive moats around Uber’s magical riding experience. You as a leader of this team, will lead initiatives to deliver on payment instruments for riders and driver partners in India and Asia, in that order.
Here are some examples of technical challenges you may be solving:
- Full-stack approach. Each integration is unique and often requires a back-end, mobile and web component. You will be part of a cross-functional team which is building the overall experience and architecture.
- Global scale. Despite being based in Bangalore, we work on integration for the overall Uber platform. Those integrations include Paytm, Cash collections, …
- Scale & reliability. Our solutions power Uber’s always-on marketplace. Maintaining this platform at scale requires constant investment in security, reliability and monitoring tooling.
- We create platforms: payments is a central initiative for Uber, and we are constantly innovating in this field.
A note on India market:
India is one of the fastest growing markets in Uber’s history and with a population of 1.2 billion, the opportunity is enormous. In less than two years, Uber has expanded across India to over 25 diverse cities, from Bangalore to Bhubaneswar and Kolkata to Kochi – with hundreds of more cities ahead of us, we’re just getting started.
As a member of the engineering leadership team based in India, you’ll be instrumental in hiring and mentoring the engineers/managers, building and scaling the team, setting the vision, career development of the team, setting the technical direction, working with product and operations and with multiple other teams at Uber.
We are looking for strong technologists with a passion for solving complex problems and creating a huge and lasting impact. We’re revolutionizing how people think about our marketplace and building the most affordable and reliable platform in the world. Come help us drive the future of transportation!
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Managerial Experience, with a preferred span of control of 20 – 30 direct reports including managing multiple teams via first line managers.
- Strong passion for the Emerging markets including India. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Engineering excellence. You have at least 8 years of industry experience in a variety of contexts, during which you’ve built insanely scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems. You have a solid knowledge of the whole web stack: front-end, back-end, databases, cache layer, HTTP protocol, TCP/IP, Linux, CPU architecture, etc.
- You are expected to be fairly hands on in terms of technical contributions including proven ability to design complex systems, architecture inputs, technology vision and ability to review code.
- Bias for action. You believe that speed and quality aren’t mutually exclusive. You’ve shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way — and you’re comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Mentorship/ Guidance. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Cities never sleep, and neither does Uber. You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to riders. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team’s scope.
- Hiring prowess. You’re a strong interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Design and business vision. You help your team understand requirements beyond the written word. Even in the absence of a PM or a designer, you show great attention to the design and product aspect of anything your team ships.
- Past Payments experience is preferred.
- Employees receive free and discounted Uber rides.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- Gym reimbursement
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in India. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top