Engineering Head - Driver Growth, Asia/India
The Driver growth team at Uber is obsessed with one question – How do we make Uber the best transportation platform for driver partners in India and emerging markets/Asia? This position is based in Bangalore and is about working on complex/large scale systems including driver onboarding, driver experience, driver engagement and basically removing all barriers from getting drivers onto the Uber platform in Asia/India/Emerging markets.
Our goal is to help our driver-partners across the world join the Uber platform efficiently and at scale, and create tools and products that help them maximize their earnings and ultimately drive long-term growth and loyalty.
The team works closely with our operations teams in India and the Product-Engineering teams for Driver Growth based in San Francisco.
We are a full stack team of smart, highly motivated and self-driven engineers working across mobile, web and backend. We are looking for strong technologists with a passion for solving complex problems and creating a huge and lasting impact. We’re revolutionizing how people think about our marketplace and building the most affordable and reliable platform in the world. Come help us drive the future of transportation!
A note on India market:
India is one of the fastest growing markets in Uber’s history and with a population of 1.2 billion, the opportunity is enormous. In less than two years, Uber has expanded across India to over 25 diverse cities, from Bangalore to Bhubaneswar and Kolkata to Kochi – with hundreds of more cities ahead of us, we’re just getting started.
Building a product that scales while considering the regional and cultural differences of an emerging market is a unique challenge. In just the last few months, our team has launched high-impact features like cash payments, safety improvements, driver vehicle solutions automation and several partner integrations. Along the way, you will work with a fast-paced engineering and product team, and apply your skills to make India a better place to live, bringing people and their cities closer together.
As a member of the engineering leadership team based in India, you’ll be instrumental in hiring and mentoring the engineers/managers, building and scaling the team, setting the vision, career development of the team, setting the technical direction, working with product and operations and with multiple other teams at Uber.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Managerial Experience, with a preferred span of control of 20 – 30 direct reports including managing multiple teams via first line managers.
- Strong passion for the Emerging markets including India. Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Engineering excellence. You have at least 8 years of industry experience in a variety of contexts, during which you’ve built insanely scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems. You have a solid knowledge of the whole web stack: front-end, back-end, databases, cache layer, HTTP protocol, TCP/IP, Linux, CPU architecture, etc.
- You are expected to be fairly hands on in terms of technical contributions including proven ability to design complex systems, architecture inputs, technology vision and ability to review code.
- Bias for action. You believe that speed and quality aren’t mutually exclusive. You’ve shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way — and you’re comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Mentorship/ Guidance. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Cities never sleep, and neither does Uber. You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to riders. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team’s scope.
- Hiring prowess. You’re a strong interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Design and business vision. You help your team understand requirements beyond the written word. Even in the absence of a PM or a designer, you show great attention to the design and product aspect of anything your team ships.
- Employees receive free and discounted Uber rides.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- Gym reimbursement
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in India. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top