Employment Counsel - Middle East & Africa
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We are making cities smarter, safer, and more connected. And we are doing it at a global scale - energizing local economies and bringing opportunities to millions of people around the world. Our positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
At Uber, we pride ourselves on the amazing team we've built. The driver behind all of our growth, our bold and disruptive brand, and the game changing technology we bring to market is the people, who also make Uber an extraordinary place to work. Delivering a first class, on-demand transportation experience has created new competition in local transportation markets around the world that had not seen significant competition in decades. We are in over 600 cities worldwide, and that's why we are looking for an experienced in-house employment counsel with a strong generalist background and proven track record of success to support and help lead our growing business across the Middle East and Africa (MEA).
This is a once-in-a-career opportunity to join a global legal team integral to a preeminent technology company engaged in cutting edge technology, and focused on solving some of the biggest challenges in the world. This position will report directly to the EMEA, Employment Team Lead, with a dotted line to the Legal Director for MEA, and be based in Johannesburg, South Africa.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Be a trusted advisor to the business, and provide critical legal and strategic input on a wide range of complex employment issues.
- Work closely with our Amsterdam based Employment Team, and other regional and global legal team members on compliance, litigation, audits and policy matters as well as broader business issues.
- Key responsibilities will include direct and indirect employee lifecycle and all related business matters, provide strategic and proactive legal advice to internal stakeholders, and effectively manage outside counsel to achieve employment law objectives across the MEA region.
- Partner closely with the Public Policy, and Communications teams to ensure strategic alignment and the successful execution of important regional initiatives. Evaluate general communications, press releases, often on deadlines in response to recent events, to ensure factual accuracy and compliance with applicable laws.
WHO YOU ARE
- 6+ years of legal experience. The ideal background includes a combination of private practice and in-house experience with a large technology or consumer facing company.
- Highly motivated, creative, entrepreneurial, and laser-focused on the details; able to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment, while collaborating as a team to stay in sync and working independently to get the job done.
- Strong academic credentials and a law degree from a top law school.
- Fluent in written and spoken English, and a crisp writing style. Proficiency in French and/or Arabic would be preferred.
- Excellent business judgment and interpersonal skills (outgoing, down-to-earth, and with a good sense of humor).
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in high impact and high profile situations.
- Enthusiastic and knowledgeable about Uber.
- Employees are given Uber credits each month.
- The rare opportunity to help shape the strategic direction of the company, and change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you've helped build. We are not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets, and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp and motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
COMP & BENEFITS
- Full-time salary negotiable based on experience, and equity compensation plan.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top