Director, Legal Operations
The Uber Legal Department is seeking a Head of Legal Operations to join our team. The position acts as an interface between the general counsel and the legal department. This position coordinates activities such as the annual operating plan and department budgets, hiring and recruiting, as well as other activities and projects as assigned by the General Counsel. In addition, this position assumes responsibility for leading law firm and third -party vendor negotiations, developing pricing strategies, conducting RFPs (Request for Proposals), tracking and coordinating outside counsel fee arrangements and driving other cost control initiatives.
The ideal candidate will be someone who has managed direct reports in both cross-functional and cross-geographic teams in a corporate environment, has a significant pricing background and expertise, has extensive negotiations experience, is customer service-focused and detail-oriented, and has the diplomatic presence to handle sensitive discussion with both team members and senior outside counsel partners. This person will be encouraged to innovate and build upon current processes, working closely with the senior attorneys in our legal department. To succeed in this role the candidate will need a can-do attitude and be able to multitask efficiently and effectively to manage competing priorities.
Primary job responsibilities will include:
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Responsible for developing, refining and promoting the legal department's mission, and developing and executing on the department's short and long term operations plan
- Provide creative thinking to help identify and develop cutting-edge strategies for increasing value and reducing outside legal spend while maintaining excellent legal representation and optimizing engagement practices with our law firms
- Responsible for other strategic plan or initiatives as delegated by the General Counsel
Finance and Budget Management
- Development and management of the Legal annual operating plan and all department budgets
- Lead the strategic planning process to determine future headcount and spend by practice and geography. Works as a primary interface between the legal department and finance
- Identify, collect, and report on key performance indicators and metrics on a global basis that are meaningful and relevant in ascertaining the legal team's budget management performance
Legal Information Technology
- Assess all department resources related to matter management, knowledge management, eDiscovery, document management, and billing management, then implement best in class technology, systems and processes
- Partnering closely with our eBilling administrator on international implementation of the Serengeti platform, process improvements, and system enhancements. Able to demonstrate mastery of Serengeti Tracker as well as the ability to write detailed reports within the software tool
- Responsible for all knowledge management tools and processes including development of new technology solutions to further enhance Legal Department collaboration and efficiency
E-Discovery and Records Management
- Work with the e-discovery manager to implement a phased rollout of an efficient e-discovery process to include both in-house resources and third party vendors, legal holds and document review management
- Develop, track and improve efficiencies, processes and cost controls of e-discovery and records management platforms
- Evaluate and implement a document management system across the entire department
Outside Counsel and Legal Vendor Management
- Lead the Uber law firm and third-party vendor management programs with the aim of reducing spend, maximizing value, and improving predictability
- Conducting RFPs where appropriate
- Review and edit engagement letters that meet our needs and requirements
- Create a tracking system that will provide quick access to data on each engagement and pricing model
Pricing and Negotiations
- Develop pricing models and templates for use across the department
- Develop creative matter-specific fee arrangements in partnership with managing attorneys
- Negotiate fee arrangements with outside counsel firms and third-party vendors
- Create data and reporting processes to monitor pricing performance and savings
- Stay abreast of industry trends, analyze outside counsel billing practices against in-house Uber guidelines, and maintain an updated outside counsel billing guidelines document and related tools.
- Work cross-functionally with professionals in Legal, Finance, IT, and others
- Manage new hire onboarding processes for the legal department
- Oversee development and implementation of department policies, communications and trainings
- Coordinate quarterly department meetings and cross-department training opportunities, facilitate education on best practices, and create department-specific guidelines and policies
- Bachelor's Degree required preferably in business or finance, JD and/or MBA preferred
- 10+ years of total work experience in operations, with minimum of three years in a law firm marketing/pricing department, five years in legal operations, billing and pricing, and five years managing direct reports
- Executive management experience in both a corporation and an international law firm.
- Executive leadership and proven track record of making an impact, developing and executing on strategies and delivering superior results in both the short and long term
- Demonstrable experience with alternative fee arrangement cost modeling
- In-depth understanding of law firm billing, pricing and compensation practices.
- Strong understanding of litigation/transaction matter lifecycles
- Attention to detail with excellent time management and multitasking/prioritization abilities
- Technology-savvy; proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel; expertise with Serengeti Tracker
- Has excellent interpersonal skills; comfortable dealing with all levels of our organization
- Proactive approach to recognizing needs, solving problems, anticipating issues.
- Proven negotiation skills with senior partner level outside counsel attorneys and pricing directors of law firms. Demonstrated track record of influencing senior level stakeholders (both internal and external).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Strong ability to communicate concisely with a wide variety of audiences, including senior management and key external stakeholders and proven ability to engage, influence and align stakeholders
- Well organized, able to prioritize well, work efficiently. Shows flexibility as workloads fluctuate.
- Consummate team player with excellent judgment
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead a complex function; influence and leverage others in a large, global organization in order to achieve objectives; and execute projects
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top