Design Program Manager
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on autonomous trucking and self-driving cars, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.
We are looking for a seasoned Design Program Manager to join our Design Operations team.
Design Program Managers at Uber are creative problem solvers and team leaders by nature. They are expert at building impactful relationships, improving team cohesion, creating efficiencies in the design process, and enabling teams to stay focused on delivering amazing product experiences to our users. In this role, you will partner closely with a Design Manager to build and maintain the operational framework for a cross-functional team of product designers, researchers, and content strategists to thrive in.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop & maintain key relationships with your business area's stakeholders (Design, Research, Content, Engineering, Product Management, Product Marketing, etc.).
- Partner with Design Manager to scope and set project priorities and sequencing, milestone planning, resource allocation, and hiring/talent needs to execute against business area objectives.
- Plan and drive the execution of design projects from inception to completion. Own the creation and management of project plans, implement an effective system of project status tracking, manage stakeholder expectations
- Serve as the go-to point of contact for tracking and reporting on in-flight project status and priorities, roadblocks, and dependencies. Make sure interdependencies are understood and planned for. Balance competing priorities and adjust resources as necessary
- Create and maintain single source of truth documentation - both high level executive summaries and executional details
- Facilitate design standups and reviews. Prepare agendas, negotiate trade-offs between competing priorities, document decisions and actions items, and ensure owners follow through on commitments
- Work with Design Manager to identify team needs (process, tools, documentation, etc) recommend improvements, and implement changes to ensure efficient delivery and high quality output
- Partner with Design Manager to ensure effective team communication and information distribution
- Engage design team members to be active contributors to broader Design org initiatives
- Evangelize design team achievements to broader Design org
- Ensure high level of team cohesion and morale
- Contribute to the development of the design program management function. Share back successful practices, frameworks, tools, lessons learned that have worked in your team
- As needed, onboard and manage contractors or vendors in executing work
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 5+ years experience as a project manager, program manager, or producer in a design consultancy or (preferred) as part of an in-house product design/UX team with multiple examples of having led teams to ship consumer facing products
- Experience writing creative briefs and scopes of work, creating and managing budgets
- Experience creating lean and scalable workflows and implementing process improvements
- Proficiency with project management and asset management tools (e.g., JIRA, Asana, Basecamp, Lucidchart, Box, Google Drive, etc)
- Clear and effective written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Strong analytical ability, conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and drive conversations forward
- Superior organizational, time management, and prioritization skills
- Self-directed and takes initiative in tackling problems big and small
- Excellent team player with experience leading large, complex team structures
Back to top