Data Warehousing Engineer (Vertica Team)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Uber is currently looking for developers with expertise and passion for developing large scale data analytics systems. The Data Warehouse team is part of the Data Infrastructure team at Uber and is responsible for creating the data warehousing and interactive querying systems which are highly available, fault tolerant, replicated and efficient. Our mission is to architect, develop, and deploy world-class big data systems to empower every tier of our incredibly fast growing company. In this role you will have the opportunity to design and build out the infrastructure that powers the way that all of the groups within Uber, from data scientists to city operations teams, access our huge trove of real-world data. Everything we do at Uber is data-driven, and as part of the Data Warehousing team you will be at the heart of things.
What you'll need
- Ability to translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Superb coding, testing and debugging skills
- Participate in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards
- Work with other teams, understand their requirements and deliver and operate appropriate large scale, distributed services
- Experience with parallel query optimization and execution, large scale data analytics, highly available/fault tolerant systems, replicated data storage, and operating complex services running in the on-prem or cloud are all pluses
- Under the hood experience with technologies such as Vertica, Google BigQuery or AWS Redshift is a plus
- Experience working with technical infrastructure teams to spec and design the physical configuration of the cluster is a plus
- Mentoring other engineers, fostering our speed-oriented culture in them, and helping to cultivate a fast-growing team
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top