Data Scientist - Uber Everything
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it’s heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We’re making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we’re doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber’s positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Are you interested in working at the intersection of applied quantitative research, engineering development, and data science? Do you have interest in developing and applying quantitative solutions related to Uber’s uniquely challenging problems? If so, then this is the job for you.
Uber Everything Data Scientists embed with Uber’s logistics delivery marketplace (for Everything!) and help resolve the most challenging quantitative problems related to Uber’s expansive initiatives in the logistics space (such as UberEATS and UberRUSH). These fascinating and challenging problems include: demand prediction, menu recommendation, and supply chain optimization for UberEATS; batching, scheduling, routing algorithms for UberRUSH; dynamic pricing and supply positioning to improve logistics marketplace efficiency, and many more.
Since Uber Everything Data Scientists focus intently on the mathematics and engineering related to optimizing the economics and operations of Uber’s logistics delivery marketplace, particular preference is given to candidates with backgrounds in Operations Research, Operations Management, Machine Learning, Statistics, or similar.
We are looking for people with advanced quantitative degrees (PhD preferred) who are comfortable enough with research methodologies that they can address abstract business and engineering problems with extreme precision, and who have the enthusiasm and initiative necessary to deliver those answers at Uber’s fast pace. You should also have demonstrable programming skills (Python experience is even better) and be comfortable with engineering development process.
What you’ll need
- Prior research, data science modeling, or engineering experience in the aforementioned domains
- Superb quantitative background: PhD preferred
- Familiarity with technical tools for analysis – Python (with Pandas, etc.), R, SQL, etc.; Python skills and previous software engineering background a plus
- Research mindset with bias towards action – able to structure a project from idea to experimentation to prototype to implementation
- Passionate and attentive self-starters, great communicators, amazing follow-through – you have a great work ethic and love the responsibility of being personally empowered
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; take time when you need it.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top