Data Scientist, Strategic Finance
The quantitative research team within Strategic Finance is looking for entry/mid level data scientist in the field of econometrics, time series analysis and machine learning to help with modeling work related to rider/driver elasticity, understanding supply-demand relationships and much more. You will be working with team of data scientists responsible for providing insights to the finance leadership to make financial decisions. This is a unique opportunity to apply your math skills in growing Uber and having a direct impact on building an efficient transportation system.
The perfect candidate for this role is someone with a highly analytical background and at the same time has the ability to communicate the results to folks in finance, operations, etc. This role will be working very closely with company executives. Prior experience or a desire to work with executives is a plus.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Develop mathematical models related to pricing optimization that will scale across major cities in which we operate
- Spend time researching state of the art techniques and implementing them
- Collaborate across the organization to iterate on forecasts and provide transparency for key business decisions
- Day to day activities involve pulling data from warehouse, back-testing the model, comparing the model performance and communicating the results
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- PhD in Applied Maths, Operations Research, Computer Science, Engineering, Computational Finance or Economics. MS graduates with 3 years experience can also apply.
- Strong coding experience in one (or more) scientific programming languages like Python/R.
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming paradigm is a plus. If you have experience with major programming language [Java, C++], its even better!
- Strong background in stochastic modeling, regression, time series analysis and techniques like PCA etc.
- Experience developing scalable mathematical models and solving complex quantitative problems.
- Be able to translate the model into a story to major stakeholders. As a data scientist, being able to explain your model to wide variety of audience is a key.
- Experience with databases and data pulling tools (SQL, SQL Server, Vertica).
- Experience with Git (share your github, stackoverflow, statexchange pages!).
- Willingness to adapt in fast-paced work environment; is a strong team player
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top