Data Scientist - Real Time Statistician
Marketplace Optimization Data Science is Uber’s team of statisticians, economists, machine learning scientists, and operations researchers who develop and own the mathematical and computational technology which is used for optimizing every part of Uber’s real-time marketplace. The team aligns with Uber’s marketplace related product and engineering initiatives to solve our most advanced mathematical and computational undertakings. These fascinating and challenging problems include: building and optimizing Uber’s dynamic pricing engine; identifying and predicting city specific traffic, travel, and demand patterns; optimizing the assignment process of dispatching/assigning driver partners to riders; assigning multiple riders to a driver partner for the UberPool product; and many more.
As a statistician focusing on Real-Time Marketplace Forecasting, you will be developing a variety of forecasting models together with engineered implementations for use in Uber’s marketplace decision systems. Not only will you be modeling localized demand, hourly & weekly temporal demand patterns, and driving behaviors, but also the effects of other external factors such as weather, sporting events, and even other transportation schedules. Additionally, this role involves structuring and using time series databases for a variety of uses within these forecasting systems. Therefore, in this position you will play a central role in a majority of Uber’s marketplace optimization decisions and have the opportunity to tackle some of Uber’s most innovative and impactful problems related to the operational execution and economic decisions of the business.
For the real-time forecasting statistician role, particular preference is given to candidates with empirical backgrounds in Statistics, Econometrics, Biostatistics, or similar. Forecasting areas of special interest include:
- Time Series
- Spatial Statistics
- State Space Modeling
- Change-Point Detection/Switching Models
Here are the kinds of skills we are looking for:
- Minimum 2 years of prior data science or engineering experience in forecasting, time series analysis, and econometrics. Spatial statistics knowledge a plus. Multiple role levels available conditional on experience.
- Strong quantitative background: Masters or PhD strongly preferred
- Excellent software development skills in one or more of C, C++, Java, Python, or similar. Experience as a software engineer is a strong plus.
- Familiarity with analytical tools such as R, Python, Matlab, Stata, or EViews
- Familiarity with relational database implementations and SQL – Experience with time series functionality in Vertica a plus
- Experience with time series databases such as InfluxDB, OpenTSDB, KairosDB, Druid, KDB+ or similar is a plus
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top