Data Scientist - Payments (Amsterdam)
Uber is a technology company that is changing the way the world thinks about transportation. We are building technology people use everyday. Whether it's heading home from work, getting a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or a way to earn extra income, Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected. And we're doing it at a global scale-energizing local economies and bringing opportunity to millions of people around the world.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
Do you have a deep quantitative background? Do you believe data enables to build better products and plays a key role in both strategic and engineering decisions? This is the job for you.
The Payments team at Uber focuses on enabling a magical payments experience for riders and partners in over 70 countries across the world while driving payments efficiency and scalability. As a Data Scientist in Payments, you will play a central role in shaping and steering strategic, operational and engineering decisions. Whether it's collaborating with leadership to create, implement, or evaluate success metrics, streamlining our payments experience or working "ahead of the curve" to determine the next big thing, you will provide the intuition and execution behind some of the most exciting questions being asked at Uber.
A real passion for strategic product decisions and, especially, the ability to apply rigorous statistical analysis skills to those decisions will make for an ideal fit.
- Use data to perform intensive analysis to drive product development
- Design experiments and interpret the results to draw actionable conclusions
- Generate and execute on ideas for exploratory analysis to shape future roadmap and provide recommendations for actions
- Perform time-series analyses, hypothesis testing, and causal analyses to statistically assess relative impact and extract trends
- Build robust payments anomaly detection algorithms and dynamic payments routing algorithms
- Define key success metrics and build dashboards / reports to communicate results and monitor critical metrics
- Present findings to senior management to drive business and roadmap decisions
- Dig deep into product and operational issues to understand and solve for root causes of these issues
- Collaborate with cross-functional team across product, engineering, design, finance and operations
- 2+ years of quantitative analysis experience (preferably in an engineering or product role)
- BS/MS in Statistics, Computer Science, Math, Economics, Finance or other quantitative field
- Comfortable writing code and contributing to a code base in Python or R
- Proficient in writing and understanding complex SQL; experience working with large data sets
- Advanced knowledge of experimentation and statistical methods
- Affinity with finance, payments or operations a plus
- Strategic mindset - you're comfortable thinking a few steps ahead of where the team is at now
- A high bar across the board - from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on
- A "driver" personality with amazing follow through - you pursue your work and love the responsibility of being individually empowered
- Grittiness - you never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and take on something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away
- Strong communication and organization skills
- True passion for Uber's mission and the company's hybrid technology / operations nature
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the way the world moves. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Smart, engaged co-workers.
- Gym reimbursement, twenty five paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
Uber is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Uber does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top