Data Scientist - Monitoring & Anomaly Detection Platform
For Uber to be a world-class transportation option for everyone, it must be one thing first – Reliable. The Monitoring Platform is about bringing world-class thinking around anomaly detection, trace analysis, root cause detection, and machine learning on a large scale to help build technology to guarantee that the Uber experience is always excellent.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working on a cross functional team of data scientists and engineers to support Uber’s existing anomaly detection algorithms and building new anomaly detection functionality.
- Build and own data models around Uber’s outages – what information should we be capturing to analyze the cause of an outage when it’s happening? What information needs to be captured to predict and prevent a similar outage in the future?
- Engaging with on-duty engineering and business rotations to help the monitoring team improve product market fit.
- Building technology to allow teams to have a “self service” point of view around monitoring their products while simultaneously allowing the platform the collect information to build more and more intelligent tools.
Here are the kinds of skills we’re looking for:
- A graduate degree or equivalent in computer science or a quantitative domain plus hands-on software engineering and data science experience. Technical understanding must go from the highest abstractions down to the metal.
- 4+ years experience delivering, scaling, and owning highly successful and innovative data science products with your fingerprints all over them – you’re extremely proud of what you’ve accomplished.
- Demonstrable proficiency in producing production level code (Python, Go, Spark preferred) and programming concepts, combined with the enthusiasm and passion to build.
- An ability to connect the deep domain expertise of the researcher with the pragmatism and scrappiness of the entrepreneur – you’re a true generalist.
- Demonstrable domain expertise in time series modeling, anomaly detection, signal processing, machine learning, failure analysis, or outlier detection methods.
- A high bar across the board – from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on.
- A “driver” personality – biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator / simplifier – constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away.
- Finger-tippiness with data: you just go get the data you need with no muss / fuss and can whip it into an insightful story with no help. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in paralysis by analysis.
- Employees are showered with Uber credits each month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical / dental / vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We’re bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top