Data Scientist - Marketplace Analytics
Marketplace Dynamics is Uber’s team of statisticians, economists, machine learning scientists, operations researchers, and software engineers who develop the mathematical and computational technology which is used for optimizing every part of Uber’s real-time marketplace. These fascinating and challenging problems include: building and optimizing Uber’s dynamic pricing engines; identifying and predicting city specific traffic, travel, and demand patterns; optimizing the assignment process of dispatching/assigning driver partners to riders; assigning multiple riders to a driver partner for the UberPool product; and many more.
Data Scientists in Marketplace Dynamics have a variety of roles, including:
- Guiding design of mathematical models used in the product, by evaluating how well those models fit Uber’s data
- Designing metrics of marketplace health and systems for monitoring those metrics in real time
- “Telling the data story”: what are the problems and why are they occurring? What parts of the system are working well and why?
- Designing and executing experiments to evaluate proposed changes in the system or tune system parameters. Due to the complexity of the marketplace and decision systems, these experiments can be extremely challenging to design appropriately.
In this position you will play a central role in optimizing Uber’s marketplace and product, and have the opportunity to tackle some of Uber’s most innovative and impactful problems related to the operational execution and economic decisions of the business. For the data scientist role, particular preference is given to candidates with empirical backgrounds in Statistics, Econometrics, Biostatistics, or similar.
Here are the kinds of skills we are looking for:
- Minimum 2 years of prior data science or engineering experience in applied statistics or data analytics. Multiple role levels available conditional on experience.
- Strong quantitative background: Graduate degree preferred.
- Strong skills with analytical tools such as R, Python, Matlab, Stata, or EViews
- Skills with relational database implementations and SQL
- Software development skills in one or more of C, C++, Java, Python, or similar.
- Strong product mindset – you ask and tackle the most important analytical questions with a view on driving product impact.
- Driven and focused self-starters, great communicators, amazing follow-through – you are entrepreneurial and love the responsibility of being individually empowered.
Be sure to check out the Uber Engineering Blog to learn more about the team.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, nine paid company holidays.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
Meet Some of Uber's Employees
Community Management Specialist
Brian makes sure that every Uber user has an amazing experience. He troubleshoots roadblocks to customer happiness and also does outreach to attract new Uber users.
Back to top